• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel laying infertiles Eggs but not interested in them

hzyleyrose

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
hayley morton
Hi :) My 2 and a half year old cockatiel lays infertile eggs every 4 months or so. Each time she has laid eggs ( including last night ) she has shown no interest in sitting on them or anything. Can someone please tell me why this is? Thank you !

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Some birds are just not interested, and I would consider this a good thing. Sometimes it takes a few eggs in the clutch to be laid before she will want to sit in them. Don’t remove any eggs until you are sure she has abandoned them. You can replace them with dummy eggs or boil them so they won’t accidentally break. You can discourage egg by making sure she has no perceived nest available, not touching her anywhere but on her head, rearranging her cage, and making her daylight hours shorter. The average healthy hen might lay two clutches a year. More than this could potentially become a problem, but if they are small clutches it might be okay.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Hayley! 1.welcome signs.gif

My youngest lovebird lays eggs and rarely sits on them too. I leave the dummy egg in it´s place for a week or so to be sure before removing them completely :)