• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel laying eggs.

Jae

Moving in
So I can confirm James is a female I will now happily be calling Rain.

After having some suspicious He was a She I started researching egg laying since I've heard other owners talking about it with some fear. Of course as I'm researching for something I hope won't happen for months I start to realize some of the signs fit.... Im just think she is getting ready to think about matting or thinking about nesting. Nope. She had been super cuddly all day. [Not that it's uncommon just that it's not all day or the only thing she wants to do all day] then finally while scratching her neck she laid her head and chest down on my leg put her but up in the air and walked it under my hand. I kept scratching and she started barking. [Best I can describe her noises lol] all happy and wiggling wherever I touch her. First time I'd ever seen or heard any sexual behavior from her. Hell first time she let me touch past her neck or the belly more than once. I put her up that night 7/21. then on 7/22 I went to check on her before leaving for a lesson and she was on her cage floor next to her foraging matt, behind her ladder kicking up the litter. I come home and she's sitting on the cage floor which of course scared the crap out of me. I run to her cage and she pops up and starts chirping and chattering. Runs to her "take me out spot" [we have a routine and I know she wants to come out when she gets on a perch by her door. I can also ask her to come come out by tapping the perch]. When she does this, I see an egg. I'm freaking out. I take her out and she rubs all over my face then sqeaks and goes straight to eating, drinking and devouring a mineral block. After awhile she would go in between the egg, food/water/mineral block and me. She's only comfortable with me coming in her cage or really handling her now. [Understandably so] seems to only want to rest or eat when I can take over egg duty. So the last two days I'd take her out. Shed nuzzle go back to her cage eat and drink her fill in that off and on routine. She has even been comfortable coming out of her room but after a couple of minutes she'd start chirping and I quickly learned she needed to see her baby. If I didn't get her back to the room in time she'd start flying to it and around me. Not the best flyer right now.

I've been changing her water daily and offering her a bath. Also on all her snack and snuggle breaks I've been giving her high calorie snacks and calcium. The night of the 24th tho she was in a mood. Only wanted to nuzzle for a second then go back to the egg. The morning of the 25th was worse. All hissing when I woke her up so I let her be. That night [I worked from 8 am till 8pm but my car broke down so I didn't get home till 10pm] when I went to check on my girl she had laid another egg! Today she's back to her snack and snuggle breaks. I put her eggs in a hamster corner litter box. [Rains uses it for a hanging forage dish sometimes] at first it added some botanical hay and shred ink/print free brown paper strips. She covered her first egg for a few days now she's kicked everything out next to her nest. So the two eggs are in the open.

I'm very new to owning a bird alone. Plus ive never had a female. What more can I do to insure her safety laying? How can I tell if she has its finished her clutch? [No large poops yet last night or today..no poop at all. Her chest has slimed back down but her vent/lower belly does have a bulge. I haven't been able to look at her vent yet today or before bed. She is still eating like a cow and devouring calcium. [Won't touch the cuttle bone too much but the mineral blocks and egg shells are her favorite and when she can the pigeon grit. I don't let her but she trys] also do I start counting three weeks from her last egg or first? And do I take them all away at once?

Thank you! Any tips and advice for my little girl is appreciated.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's generally not a good idea to a pet a bird anywhere but around the head/neck. Petting the back of a female can get the hormones to kick in, and you don't want your bird to see you as it's mate or really encourage egg laying. ;)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Jae

Moving in
It says you should allow her to sit on them for at least 21 days it's a really good article
Thank you I read another article that said 3 weeks but more and more are saying similar to what you said. Thanks for the article too!

Jae

Moving in
It's generally not a good idea to a pet a bird anywhere but around the head/neck. Petting the back of a female can get the hormones to kick in, and you don't want your bird to see you as it's mate or really encourage egg laying. ;)
I just scratch her neck/head. Every once in awhile she runs her face on mine. I was only rubbing her back because she waddled it under my hand. I'd move my hand and anywhere it was she made happy sounds. It was also the first time she's done that. I don't think that could have made her lay since she laid her first egg the next day. Wouldn't mating take longer to incubate? Also before she laied her second egg she was doing the same on a toy by her main perch. Which I've never seen her do before either. Could it be related? She hasn't tried to go for any more butt rubs since though so i guess that's good.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you I read another article that said 3 weeks but more and more are saying similar to what you said. Thanks for the article too!
You should be letting the hen sit on those dummy eggs for as long as she wants until she "voluntarily" gives them up. When eggs are not going to hatch a "good motherly" hen is not going to give up so easy (at 21 days) and she may sit on them for an extra 10 days. In any case by "voluntarily" abandoning them the cycle ends naturally. If you "take" eggs away you always run the risk that the hen will start laying again to replace them because "she" wasn't done yet. Especially with cockatiels.

Once the hen has stopped paying attention to them for a few days. Take them out.

Last edited:

Jae

Moving in
Thank you I'd read that and the corrected 21-30 days or once she is not interested. This time also starts once she is finished the clutch correct?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you I'd read that and the corrected 21-30 days or once she is not interested. This time also starts once she is finished the clutch correct?
Yes. The time starts when she actually starts incubating them.