• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Swirlysnow

Moving in
Hi! My female cockatiel, Kiwi, has laid 4 clutches of eggs this year, and is laying one more now! We've been trying to discourage her, but she keeps laying. We do have a male cockatiel, but we try to keep them separate, and the eggs are infertile (they were candled) Could someone help, with suggestions on how to stop this egg-laying, and what I can do to help her? Would placing fake eggs in her nest help?
Thanks! :)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's worth a try. It worked for my Umbrella Cockatoo. You also want to make sure you are offering calcium, as egg laying depletes their calcium levels greatly.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I believe @rocky'smom and @SandraK have experience with eggy tiels, maybe they have advice. I don't have experience with female birds, but I know that a bird laying too many eggs can be really hard on their bodies, so it'd be a good idea to get her checked out at a vet, plus the vet might have some ideas/suggestions.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Monica has posted a great list of things that will discourage egg laying. Maybe do a search for it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ah. Here it is.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the eggs are infertile (they were candled)
To know if they were fertile, you would have to leave them for a week or so incubating.. which by the time you saw if they were fertile or not, they would be something alive (if fertile).
Best to deal with the eggs as they are laid, destroying them and using dummy eggs. I have read of ´Tiel owners presenting a full clutch of fake eggs on sight of one real egg being laid. I do not know much of this, but it is worth looking into.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
One of my cockatiels has always had a tendency to lay eggs (not every year, but enough to concern me a great deal). In my case, the fake eggs have worked like a charm. As soon as I see the first egg, I get them out and put them in the cage. She might still lay one or two after that, but not like the first time, when I was caught off guard and had to wait for the fake eggs to arrive in the mail. I think she laid about 5 then. So yes, they've been super helpful in my case.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I lost my beautiful girl Sweet Pea because of chronic egg laying. Please see a avian veterinarian.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How much sleep does she get? Tiels should get 10-12 hours of sleep/darkness. If she doesn't I would start there. If she does, try bumping it up another 2 hours for a couple weeks. The idea is if it's "winter" birds won't lay eggs (darker longer). Also, frequently rearranging the cage may help and removing anything that could be seen as a nest.