• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel laid an egg a day after she laid one

Hannah!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
My cockatiel had laid a egg yesterday and it was a really good one it had a hard shell she was a normal weight after but today she laid another which would be two in a row and this one was soft and her weight was lower than normal I'm not sure what to do because the vet is closed I'm gonna be calling tomorrow morning but I don't know what to do tonight

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Here's a picture of the one she laid today View attachment 443507
I have a cockatiel that did that same thing about a year ago. Nothing ever became of it. It happened and that was the end of it. The soft shelled one was about half again the size of a normal egg.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Given that the second egg was laid 24 hours after the first, the egg has passed through the body too quickly making the shell soft (not enough time to calcify). It can happen sometimes.
Normally eggs are laid every 24-48 hours (usually more towards the 48 mark).

You can offer some calcium rich foods - as long as they have access to vitamin d3 to be able to absorb the calcium, so either they eat pellets, have access to direct unfiltered sunshine, or are on a vit d3 supplement.
You may find offering some egg food, or a supplment (calcium + vitd3) is easier.

Monitor your bird, and any signs of lethargy, loss of balance, loss of appetite etc take them straight to the vet.