• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent cockatiel keep breaking his feathers...

karcrate

Moving in
Real Name
Silver
waffles, my cockatiel, has been breaking his tail feathers for awhile now via accidentily flying into things. but yesterday i noticed he couldnt fly and got really panicked, i checked his wing, and he snapped the only flying feather on that wing (the breeder only clipped one wing, and seemingly forgot that feather on his right wing, so it let him fly decently well) and cant fly. he still really wants too fly, but keeps flying into the floor so im trying to limit his out-of-cage time until i can figure out how to help him. any advice?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Unfortunately I think he’s going to have a tough time of it until his feathers grow back, which can take months. You can try padding the floor so he doesn’t injure himself, and he should soon realize that he can’t fly that well. Make sure he has perches, play stands, and other places to land around your house, so he doesn’t have to fly far. I don’t think keeping him in his cage until his wings grow back is a good idea, it will take too long.