• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel issues

Remy

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jaz Tutt
Hey! So I've had Remy for a little while,, and overall need some help and explanations for some things!

Firstly, Remy isn't food driven, so I reward her with praise and paper to chew. There are 2 things wrong with this though. Remy seems to enjoy chewing the target stick better than the reward, and when she does chew the paper she eats it.

Before I get he/her out of the cage for the first time, i've looked into it and decided to get her wings clipped just for the first time. Now, when mu uncles friend clipped his cockatoos wings, the cockatoo remembered that and hates that friend, so I don't want to do it so Remy doesn't develop a fear of me? Would having my dad do it be a good option? He lives in the same house I do.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i've looked into it and decided to get her wings clipped just for the first time
Remember, even if you ¨only do it once¨ it will deeply affect your bird.
Please have a read through these articles before making your mind up: Should I clip my birds wings?
This is not a decision that should be taken lightly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I strongly encourage you not to clip her wings. I think wing clipping is forcing a bird to be dependent on you and not building trust. Are you sure that she's eating the paper? If she really is, I wouldn't give her paper anymore. Have you tried giving her a sunflower seed or some millet spray as a training reward?

Remy

Real Name
Jaz Tutt
Remember, even if you ¨only do it once¨ it will deeply affect your bird.
Please have a read through these articles before making your mind up: Should I clip my birds wings?
This is not a decision that should be taken lightly.
Yes, I've done extensive research, gotten opinions ect, but my previous bird died from flying into the window, our house is covered in them. There are a few other factors that play into this decision, Though I would like to see your further opinion!

I strongly encourage you not to clip her wings. I think wing clipping is forcing a bird to be dependent on you and not building trust. Are you sure that she's eating the paper? If she really is, I wouldn't give her paper anymore. Have you tried giving her a sunflower seed or some millet spray as a training reward?
Hi! I have attempted giving Remy Millet, which she dislikes, and she struggles to open the sunflower seeds. Ill take your advise and not give her paper anymore :) Thankyou! Any other suggestions for a reward? <3

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry to hear about your other bird :(
A lot of members here use decals or curtains to try avoid crashes. When I babysit my friends birds I close all my curtains because they go straight into them otherwise. If your home has many windows, maybe decals could work for you?

Any other suggestions for a reward? <3
You can use anything your birds enjoys, if Remy likes almond, you can smash one and give a small piece or finely chopped walnut pieces. If Remy enjoys scritches.. maybe that could work?

Remy

Real Name
Jaz Tutt
Sorry to hear about your other bird :(
A lot of members here use decals or curtains to try avoid crashes. When I babysit my friends birds I close all my curtains because they go straight into them otherwise. If your home has many windows, maybe decals could work for you?
ou can use anything your birds enjoys, if Remy likes almond, you can smash one and give a small piece or finely chopped walnut pieces. If Remy enjoys scritches.. maybe that could work?
Thank you Zara! Though the place Im at doesn't belong to me, but I'll see what I can do, I'll also have to negotiate with the person in the house I'm with, because they were the one wanting Remy clipped. Ive never tried giving Remy almonds, nor walnuts, so I'll give that a go :D As for scritches, Ive only had Remy for around a month, and I haven't tried to pat Remy incase she/he becomes frightened, as much as I would love to, I'm going to wait until she/he gives me a sign that they want scritches, do you believe that would be the best option? <3

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm going to wait until she/he gives me a sign that they want scritches, do you believe that would be the best option? <3
Yes I do :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, I've done extensive research, gotten opinions ect, but my previous bird died from flying into the window, our house is covered in them. There are a few other factors that play into this decision, Though I would like to see your further opinion!

Hi! I have attempted giving Remy Millet, which she dislikes, and she struggles to open the sunflower seeds. Ill take your advise and not give her paper anymore :) Thankyou! Any other suggestions for a reward? <3
You can try an unshelled sunflower seed. My tiel Rosie doesn't like to open them either. I also will use a piece of cashew (unsalted of course) as a reward. Do you really think she's eating the paper? I hate to see her lose something she enjoys but it isn't good for her to ingest it. Maybe try some finger trap or balsa toys?

Remy

Real Name
Jaz Tutt
You can try an unshelled sunflower seed. My tiel Rosie doesn't like to open them either. I also will use a piece of cashew (unsalted of course) as a reward. Do you really think she's eating the paper? I hate to see her lose something she enjoys but it isn't good for her to ingest it. Maybe try some finger trap or balsa toys?
Yes I agree, she lives it, but heath comes first. She has interest in other things and likes to chew on my hair as much so I think I may just have to sacrifice my hair :lol:
Im going to give that a go too! Thankyou both in andvanced!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry to hear about your past bird. :( Unfortunately, clipping your bird isn't going to necessarily make him any safer. It's sadly a common misconception.

That said, there's always ways you can make the environment safer and work on training!

As far as target training goes... she doesn't *NEED* to touch the target in order to be target trained! ;) So maybe instead of allowing her to chew on it, just reward her for reaching for it!

Definitely try sunflower seeds already hulled! Although ideally, you want the treat to be half or a quarter the size of a sunflower seed! (minus it's shell)