• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel is sick and won't eat...:(

Rubenka9

Checking out the neighborhood
We have a brand new cockatiel who was shipped to us yesterday (I know - bad idea). Anyways, we took her to the vet today who thinks she may have parrot fever. She gave us medication which we are giving her (her blood work has been sent to the lab). The trouble is, our bird seems too scared to eat or drink or even sleep. We have her in a quiet room (away from our other bird due to quarantine issues) but every time we approach her, she starts shaking. She appears to be on high alert and is barely moving unless we get too close. She has also not touched her food or water. The only thing she nibbled on was some millet spray but not enough for a sick bird imo.

The company provided electrolytes to mix in her water, which we did. Should we try plain water instead?

Experienced cockatiel owners - any tips on how to coax the baby to eat? Some ideas that I have are warm bird bread, or home made applesauce, and I guess I could try hand-feeding formula (is that a bad idea since the sellers said that she has been weaned?). She is very afraid of hands at the moment and I am a bit nervous about feeding her with a syringe in case she chokes on it.

Any advice would be appreciated. See her picture attached...:)... She is such a sweet bird but I am afraid she is going to starve herself.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How old is she? Is she making static noises? If so, she may have regressed and need hand feedings if she's young. You can try formula. Also you can try covering her cage on 3 sides, leaving the front open so she doesn't have to be alert for danger on all sides. Is the food and water close to her? Baby tiels can be clumsy.

@Monica? @Birdbabe @Tiel Feathers

Rubenka9

She is a few months old (the seller did not send us the hatch date), I think. Because of the COVID-19 quarantine procedures, we were not allowed inside at the vet's so I did not get a chance to ask the vet...:/... She is not making any noise whatsoever, and I don't see any begging/head bobbing. I will cover her cage on three sides - thanks for the tip! She does have food (seed and pellet mix) and water in her cage that is accessible to her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would maybe try some soft food too or adding water to soften the pellets. And if she's eating millet spray keep giving it to her. It's important for her to just eat if she's sick.

@enigma731

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shes flipped out right now, can you imagine being shipped in a box, to a scarey place? And then taken to a scarey vet, your blood taken? Give her some rest a day or two, dont force anything on her. Food and water, if she eats millet only, then give it to her,she will eat, but maybe not when your around
Coz your new and scary..It will take time for her to calm down, keep her in a quiet warm place and talk her as you interact with food and water, watch her poop also, to make sure it's normal, she may also need comfort feedings from formula if your afraid or unfamiliar with syringe feeding, then try it from a spoon.., or at least try some scramble eggs or cooked cooled oatmeal or quinoa..cannot believe the vet wouldn't allow you in to be with her,,
Tagging here
@Monica
@sunnysmom
@rocky'smom
@JLcribber
@Tiel Feathers

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok going to agree with @Birdbabe, she is really scared and that takes a few days to settle down. If this little one, is eating millet then set up as much as you can, any place that you see her sitting. Covering three sides is good too, keep her lights low and a night light set up so little one doesn't have night fright. Talk to her, softly every time you go by the cage, let her know what you are doing. Also watch her poops to make sure she is eating and drinking. If you see any signs that little one is not eating then beat feet to the emergency vet. Some babies regress and need to have a comfort feed.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Even if the food is accessible to her, she may not feel comfortable enough to *move* to get to it... so it helps to move food and water *to* her, wherever she's sitting.

The behavior you describe is pretty normal for a new bird that is terrified... please do keep an eye on her and give the medications. It may make earning her trust take longer, but if she's sick, she needs to get better first!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How is she today? Why does your vet think she has Psittacosis? Hopefully she will start eating once she feels comfortable enough in her new surroundings.

Rubenka9

How is she today? Why does your vet think she has Psittacosis? Hopefully she will start eating once she feels comfortable enough in her new surroundings.
Thanks everyone...:)... Apologies for going MIA for a bit. Cinnamon (our cockatiel) seems to be doing a bit better. No news from the vet yet but she has been munching on seeds (apart from some handfeeding) and drinking some water, so we feeling a bit more optimistic. We spent yesterday hand feeding her baby bird food - I suspect she either regressed or was shipped to us too quickly...:/...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Glad she is okay. Since she’s that frightened, do keep the cage covered on 3 sides and don’t stare at her (predators stare) but move around, sing, talk, or read so she can just watch you and get to know you.