• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel is serious pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanine

Checking out the neighborhood
IMG_4229.JPG So 3 days ago, one of my cockatiels rio jumped too early from my hand towards the window and came a little short. He hit the windowsill and fell really hard on the ground, he laid there for about a minute barely moving and though he had broken his neck but then he jumped back up and looked at me with big scared eyes and when I tried to pick him up he tried to run but face planted onto the ground and then I picked him up and saw he was holding his foot up. I set him on the bottom of the cage with food and water close to him and left for work and when I got home he had torn all his tail feather out. I've been monitoring him as much as possible since but now he has no balance so move. He still eats and drinks water (a bit less than before) but the other day he moved to the other side of his cage and when I put millet in his cage and he dragged it from where it was by his food and water to where he likes to huddle across the cage. He has much less energy than before and seems to sleep all day and when he tries to make a noise, it comes out very weak. I'm really worried about him but his foot isn't broken because it isn't swollen or bruised. I feel really bad because he can't climb or talk or play with any of his toys, please someone help :(

One last thing, I don't have money for a vet to literally do nothing except stress him out and put a spiny on him when I could do it myself if he would let me touch it but I'm scared to hurt him.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't have money for a vet to literally do nothing
Why do you have a bird when you can't afford him what he needs? ATM that is avian vet care.
when I could do it myself if he would let me touch it but I'm scared to hurt him.
But then you can't do it yourself! And that is probably because your not an avian vet.
This poor bird have already been suffer for 3 days, that make me so sad. :(

I'm so tired of all this kind of threads, all wanted to treat the birds for themselves and none can afford vet care. Don't get an animal if you cant afford vet care!!

"This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE"

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Have you looked into Care Credit it is for people who don't have the money to handle vet bills all at once and it allows them to space the payments over time. https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He is hurt somehow even if you can't see it, a careing vet would agree to take payments over a few weeks time. I would have him checked out, and like another said you could try for the " care credit" . It only takes a few minutes to see if you qualify. Hope he's OK.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That doesn't sound very good. I hope you can find a way to take your bird to the vet. I hope he'll be okay.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can get him to the vet very soon. He can go downhill very fast, and I'm sure you don't want him to die. The vet can give him pain meds and anything else he might need. Please keep us posted on your little guy. I hope he pulls through.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand you want to save $$ but you can't do a full diagnosis of your bird like a vet can do and he may need medications that can't be purchased over the counter. Please take your bird to the vet. Check into Care Credit as per other posts or use a credit card that you already have. Perhaps the vet will even let you do payments. Hope your 'tiel will be OK.
Part of having a feathered friend (or any other animal friend or human child) is being able to get them the health care that is needed.

Kanine

I hope you can get him to the vet very soon. He can go downhill very fast, and I'm sure you don't want him to die. The vet can give him pain meds and anything else he might need. Please keep us posted on your little guy. I hope he pulls through.
He's actually improving drastically but I've called a few vets and got a quote, not as much as I had thought... taking him in soon

Kanine

K so I'm leaving this thread since you guys weren't very helpful at all and basically yelled at me for no reason....you're glad you're all hiding behind an electronic screen

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
you're glad you're all hiding behind an electronic screen
I will say the opposite. I have no problem at all to "say" the same IRL.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
weren't very helpful at all and basically yelled at me for no reason....you're glad you're all hiding behind an electronic screen
Hi...

I understand your upset about your cockatiel, but no one was trying to alienate or discourage you. It is a fact, however, and it needs to be said that if you can't take a pet to the vet, you shouldn't have the pet. When you buy/ adopt a cockatiel, you are making a commitment to care for and pay for its every need.

If a hypothetical child had a severe concussion from running into a sliding glass door and was throwing up, it wouldn't be acceptable (and probably illegal) to ask random people on the internet what they should do instead if taking the kid to a doctor, would it?

I would suggest starting a "cockatiel savings" jar, where you put, say $7 a week towards any medical problems your cockatiel may have. That's $364 a year, enough to pay for any medicine your cockatiel may need, and their pretty healthy birds, so you may be able to save into the next year in case your pet needs surgery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.