• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel is picky about toys

PacoBirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Macey
I have a cockatiel that I have had for 2 1/2 years. I have just recently been able to get him to look at toys. The only toys he dares interact with are simpler foraging toys. He doesn't like wood, thread preening toys, wicker, and some shredding toys. He occasionally nibbles on paper, my bracelets, necklaces, and earrings. His favorite thing is food. I have tried being an example and associating toys with food, but nothing has worked. Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing or have any tips they could give me?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think cockatiels play as much as some other types of parrots. (My cockatoo for instance plays constantly.) Right now, I have some paper woven through both of my tiels' cage bars. They both enjoy just chewing that. Other things they like are balsa and those finger trap toys with crinkle paper. I think most tiels just like easy things to chew. Sometimes letting them watch you play with a toy gets them interested. (And welcome to the forum!)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds can be choosy about the toys they want to play with. Just offer him what you think will work or make some yourself. That is about all you can do.

PacoBirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Macey
Thank you for the info and I am very excited to be on Avian Avenue! I make most of his toys as most store-bought toys usually don't fit his preferences. I am gone to school most of the day and I don't like thinking that he might be bored.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you for the info and I am very excited to be on Avian Avenue! I make most of his toys as most store-bought toys usually don't fit his preferences. I am gone to school most of the day and I don't like thinking that he might be bored.
This is exactly why I started Lil Monsters Bird Toys! :) My quaker and green cheek wouldn't play with any toys from the pet shop. My quaker would only play with foraging toys, too. I'm currently on maternity leave but will be opening back up later this month. Might get some ideas looking at my shop though! A lot of my cockatiel customers like balsa, sola, and super thin pine.

PacoBirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Macey
I just ordered some stuff to make him some toys. I bought Chinese finger traps, sola, vegetable tanned leather, paper cups, yucca wood chips, and some other stuff:). Hopefully this will keep his interest.

Last edited:

PacoBirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Macey
820C7E8F-E656-4D06-B7E8-05A487044A52.jpeg BB90B777-B3CD-4FBF-9854-21B65A7CA64E.jpeg 480434A4-9615-46DD-9875-C15886B87B9F.jpeg These toys has been the biggest hits so far! For the first one I just strung some beads and sola on some vegetable tanned leather. The second one is a bunch of different textures on a kabob like: sola ball, yucca wood, leather, cardboard, Chinese finger trap etc. The last one I made just like I would a bracelet (I braided it), since he loves to chew on mine.