• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel is aggressive towards toy

bingbong

Moving in
Hello! my 13 year old male cockatiel has started attacking a toy recently. He will run at it from across the perch and open his wings and flair his tail and then bite it. He has been acting more aggressive lately and even biting me which he never does. Do I remove the toy like I think I should or is he somehow working out his anger? Is he just hormonal or do I need to be worried about him?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What type of toy is it? Does it have a mirror or a reflective surface?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He might just be hormonal and frustrated. Make sure he gets enough sleep and don’t pet his back. How big is his cage? How is he when he is out of his cage? I would probably move the toy out and see if that helps.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe because the toy is shreddable, it is inspiring some nesting behavior? I don't know, I'm guessing. Gigi has this toy and really likes working on it. She breaks off pieces, carries them and then puts them around her cage, resting on other toys, her food dish, the boing, etc. I think it would be a good idea to move it or take it away with your boy's behavior. I'll be watching to make sure it's a positive toy for Gigi.

bingbong

Moving in
Thank you for all the help! Bud is a rescue that has been pretty heavily mistreated in the past. He is a work in progress! He has a big flight cage and he is tentative boy outside of his cage. I will remove the toy and hopefully that will help.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Thank you for all the help! Bud is a rescue that has been pretty heavily mistreated in the past. He is a work in progress! He has a big flight cage and he is tentative boy outside of his cage. I will remove the toy and hopefully that will help.
Given this... I would probably leave the toy in place. It may be 'undesirable' behavior, but it's probably good for him - building up his confidence if nothing else. Taking it away as he's just starting to come out of his shell, so to speak, might do more harm than good.