• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel injured foot

SD1030

Strolling the yard
My cockatiel tried flying and fell from his cage to the floor. His wings are clipped. His left foot appears to be injured. There is no blood, no swelling, no bruising, and no discoloration. He’s just not using it at all and isn’t putting any pressure on it. He can’t put any pressure on it at all and is using his beak to maneuver has he walks. He’s raising it up with his toes extended.

Could something be broken?!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just went through something similar with my boy. I wasn't sure what he did this time but he was having intermittent weakness in his right foot/leg he was fine in his cage but on my shoulder or the bed he would splay his foot sometimes and stumble. There was also no heat,swelling brusing ect but he wasnt getting better after 2 days so though I suspected it was merely soft tissue I wanted to be absolutely sure so I took him to the vet for peace of mind. Luckily she agreed it was just soft tissue so I have him on strict cage rest in his baby cage and its been since sunday now and he seems back to normal no stumbling and only occasionally does he misgrab on my shoulder now. I'd highly recommend taking him to the vet especially since your boy isnt using it at all and is dragging himself with his beak. If it is broken the sooner it gets set and he gets on pain management the better. Maybe its dislocated and can be put back into its socket by the vet but it really needs to be seen by a professional.
I hope you baby will be ok,please keep us updated.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor sweetie, I hope he will heal quickly!

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Yes me too. I will be taking him to the vet. His toes look straight and nothing seems out of place. I just hope nothing is broken in his actual leg. :((

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I just felt his fingers and they are completely paralyzed. There is zero strength in them. Totally flaccid. Could this be permanent?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did you manage to get a vet appointment? The sooner things like this are looked at the better chances they have for healing properly.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Call the vet back & let them know he can't move his foot/toes.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
on the phone with them right now
Could the paralysis be permanent?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No one here can really answer that for you I am sorry, that is a question for the vet.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's hard to say. Sounds like it could be a broken bone and/or pinched nerves. Only a vet can tell you what's wrong.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
They aren’t giving me an appointment until tomorrow morning

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Should I massage his toes or leg at all? Or leave it be? I’m not sure what’s better?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Keep him as quiet as possible. Cover the cage partially to encourage him to not move around too much & rest.
You could put something soft on the floor of the cage in case he falls again or put him in a small carrier so he can't fall.

He needs a vet as something is wrong. Did you ask the vet what to do tonight?

Did you see him fall? Did he hit his head?

The leg may start to swell & is cutting off nerves.

I would not be moving the leg around to massage it as that could make it worse if something is broken.

How is the bird doing? Can you put food & water near them so they can easily reach it.

I'd get him in a small carrier so he can be on the floor & not fall. Put his food & water bowel close by
Keep him quiet so he does not move around much tonight. It will be better to keep his movement to a minimum.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Thanks for your insight. I don’t know if he hit his head or not. He’s eating and drinking just fine. He’s mostly resting and sleeping today. It seems he can move his foot, but just not his toes. He can’t grasp at all. I’ll be sure to keep him quiet and warm and let him rest until my appointment tomorrow.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rest & sleep is good as long as he is eating & drinking. Hopefully things go well at the vet & its nothing too serious.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I’m just so worried. His fingers are completely limp. I can move them around freely. I don’t know if he’ll ever regain function again :((
It’s hard to believe it

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I don't see a reason to be playing with his toes. Don't move them. They could be broken & its causing pain or more damage. The best think you can do before you get him to the vet is to keep him quiet so he does not move too much.
Birds can adapt & live with one foot in the worst case. There's nothing you can do but get him to the vet soon.
Since you don't know what's wrong its best not move potentially broken bones or feet which can make the injury worse. Worry is normal but its not doing yourself or your bird any good if you can't keep yourself calm & collected.
So try to relax & get him quietly to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully its nothing too serious.

When the car ran over my foot breaking my big toe. It was sort of numb too so it really did not hurt so they thought I was Ok til the xrays showed it was fractured.. The freaks in the Er were even trying to move it when I first came in but I told them to leave it alone. Numbskills. The body goes into a semi shock & tries to isolate the injured area.
They finally put my lower leg in a cast but my toes stuck out. Legs & toes usually will heal well if its not too broken so don't move it.

I kept it perfectly still. I kept it still for a month & it healed.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the insight. Yes I’m definitely keeping him from moving as much as I can