• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel in shock and i don't know what to do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The link does not work for me.
Tka has copied the link information for you so you do not need the link to read the information.

Reactions: Ali

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
!!!!!!IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nacho has trouble opening his right eye fully, he has recently started to eat and drink water (with antibiotics inside of it) but still has some issues with his right eye.
Hopefully his eye will heal. Did the vet suggest the antibiotics be put in the water? It seems like it would be hard to get a correct dose that way. It’s good he’s eating.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hopefully his eye will heal. Did the vet suggest the antibiotics be put in the water? It seems like it would be hard to get a correct dose that way. It’s good he’s eating.
I’ve never heard of that, usually antibiotics are beak dosed.

@AliNavi Perhaps the vet or vet tech can show you how to do it.

The eye not opening might also be from the dehydration... now that he’s eating and drinking it will right itself.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’ve never heard of that, usually antibiotics are beak dosed.

@AliNavi Perhaps the vet or vet tech can show you how to do it.
Yeah, I was wondering why the antibiotics were put in the bird’s water and not given with a syringe. I hope the little bird will be okay. How scary for the poor little guy.

AliNavi

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Ali Guemmi
Turns out its the whole rightside of his face that is not in good shape....i really don't know what to do !
Should i keep him in his cage or let him out and comfort him ?
He seemed like he didn't want to stay on my shoulder which he usually loves but he is okay with being petted.

Attachments

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear that he's not doing well. Has his behaviour changed at all? Is he quieter or less active?

If I were in your position, I would contact your vet again.

AliNavi

Real Name
Ali Guemmi
Sorry to hear that he's not doing well. Has his behaviour changed at all? Is he quieter or less active?

If I were in your position, I would contact your vet again.
He is very quiet and just sits in his cage and sleeps sometimes, he does eat, drink and preen and loves to be petted on the head and beak but won't step up.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Turns out its the whole rightside of his face that is not in good shape....i really don't know what to do !
I feel it's urgent that you take him right back to the vet for treatment. You have a 24 hour window to get treatment going after there has been an altercation between a cat and bird where you suspect the skin has been broken or saliva has gotten into the bird. Ask the vet to give him a shot of antibiotics to get him a boost of medication. Ask the vet to show you how to towel him to give him medication directly into his mouth. Giving antibiotics in water is not a reliable way to be certain he's getting the treatment he needs. The Vet should also be able to give you drops or ointment medication for his eye.

AliNavi

Real Name
Ali Guemmi
I feel it's urgent that you take him right back to the vet for treatment. You have a 24 hour window to get treatment going after there has been an altercation between a cat and bird where you suspect the skin has been broken or saliva has gotten into the bird. Ask the vet to give him a shot of antibiotics to get him a boost of medication. Ask the vet to show you how to towel him to give him medication directly into his mouth. Giving antibiotics in water is not a reliable way to be certain he's getting the treatment he needs. The Vet should also be able to give you drops or ointment medication for his eye.
The vet game me Enrofloxacine, she told me to put 0.5ml of it in 0.5L of water and give it to him, i did put some hydrating eyedrops on his eye. Does anyone know what dose of the antibiotic i should give him ?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet game me Enrofloxacine, she told me to put 0.5ml of it in 0.5L of water and give it to him, i did put some hydrating eyedrops on his eye. Does anyone know what dose of the antibiotic i should give him ?
You should give the bird exactly what the vet tells you to give it. I would ask the vet about medicated drops or ointment for the eye.

Edited to add: I just wanted to mention that giving antibiotics in water is not a reliable way to be certain he's getting the treatment he needs. You may want to consider asking your vet to show you how to towel him to give him medication directly into his mouth. If you tell the vet you want to give the medication directly into the birds mouth, the vet will prescribe what he needs.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Could you just phone the vet and ask some questions?

Also - let the bird guide you. If he wants out, in the cage, on your shoulder - go with what he wants.

Reactions: Ali