• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel in shock and i don't know what to do.

AliNavi

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Ali Guemmi
My cockatiel flew out the window into the neighbourhood about 30min ago, so i ran outside as fast as i could and found my cat holding him in his mouth while he was screaming for help, i picked him up and he started violently biting me to the point where i started bleeding, the right side of his neck looks wet, i really don't know if he's bleeding or not, he is panting and closing his eyes most of the time. I put him in his travel cage and he os currently standing on a perch inside of it.
There is absolutely not a single avian vet in the small town i live at.

mak

Rollerblading along the road
My cockatiel flew out the window into the neighbourhood about 30min ago, so i ran outside as fast as i could and found my cat holding him in his mouth while he was screaming for help, i picked him up and he started violently biting me to the point where i started bleeding, the right side of his neck looks wet, i really don't know if he's bleeding or not, he is panting and closing his eyes most of the time. I put him in his travel cage and he os currently standing on a perch inside of it.
There is absolutely not a single avian vet in the small town i live at.
So take him to a regular vet! A cat bite can be deadly. In the meantime, put him in his cage in a quiet area with food and water and monitor him.
@sunnysmom @Tiel Feathers

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have to drive 90 mins for my vet so I can empathize. If you bird has been bitten by a cat he really needs antibiotics asap as the bacteria in a cat's mouth will infect their blood and make them septic.

I'm moving this to our 911 forum

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would take him to a vet right away. Can you talk to the vet's office? Sometimes just because they're not "avian" certified doesn't mean they can't treat birds.... I hope he is okay.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you are on the way to a regular vet right now. Is he bleeding? He needs antibiotics right away. I hope he will be okay.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When a tiel is in shock time is of the essence. A vet (any vet) can give him something for shock, something for pain, and address any injuries. If the regular vet doesn’t know what to do he can consult with an avian vet via phone.

If you don’t visit a vet, your bird might die. So. I hope that’s not your choice but if it is, offer him electrolytes. In the water. Thrive by Morning bird or Guardian Angel are my faves but you can also get some pedialyte from the grocery (the baby aisle) and mix with his water. Clean any wounds with water.

This is bottom-level care.

AliNavi

Real Name
Ali Guemmi
UPDATE: i did take him to the vet immediately after i read the replies, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this thread and helped <3
The vet said the bird is not looking as bad as i thought, no bleeding and no wound, the only noticeable change is his right eye. He doesn't fully open it. She gave me antibiotics that i fed to him. She said i have to give it to him once a day for 5 days and he'll be fine. He is now standing on his perch inside his cage and looks sleepy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad you took him to the vet so quickly, good job! He’s lucky to have such a caring human. Please continue to keep us updated.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That is terrific, thank you for updating us. Where’s his picture?

AliNavi

Real Name
Ali Guemmi
Also i'd like to point out that this is just his travel cage, and i do realise that plastic perches aren't really goos for their feet but i don't want to scare him away by putting my hand inside the cage again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Awww that is good. Hope you read over the link i gave you.

AliNavi

Real Name
Ali Guemmi
Awww that is good. Hope you read over the link i gave you.
I'm sorry but i can't open the link :( Can you summarize what it is about ? Or maybe send me another website on the same topic ?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've quoted it below. It was written by Mitch Rezman of Windy City Parrot
For the many of you who don’t know, Catherine (my wife & partner) and I, spend almost 24/7 together. We always have something to say to one another, We talk about business a lot.

We brain storm, plan, solve problems – you get it.

I’m not sure how this conversation got started, I remember we were in the car and I’m pretty sure Catherine said something like, “we spend so much time talking about how to care for our birds, the right bird food, proper size bird cage the right bird cage accessories and bird toys.

But we never talk about the other side.

The sadly ironic side of having a pet bird.

The single biggest reason our birds die is – we kill them.

Rather than expanding on each and every hazard, I’m going to list all that we came up with.

Let us know about your experiences so we can help other pet bird owners avoid potential catastrophes .
  • Lands on edge of drinking glass, reaches down for liquid and falls in head first & drowns
  • Flies or falls into a mop bucket
  • Flies or falls into a toilet
  • Flies into a mirror or window
  • Water bottle malfunctions while you’re out-of-town for 3 days – bird suffers dehydration
  • Electrocution by chewing through electrical wire
  • Flies into open oven
  • Flies into boiling water pot
  • Fumes emitted from Teflon cookware heated over 535 degrees (Birds are 90% lungs – people)
  • Using Teflon coated heat lamps to keep babies warm has killed chicks even at zoos
  • Bird gets stuck on single toy hung in middle of cage – gets tired and can’t reach cage walls to leave toy – falls off toy from exhaustion
  • Toe caught in knot of chain – flaps uncontrollably until injury or death
  • Flies into old fashion glue fly paper – flaps uncontrollably until injury or death
  • Mouse trap under couch
  • Impaled on knife or sharp object on kitchen counter
  • Bird get laid on because someone thought it was cute to sleep with their bird
  • Flying out the door
  • Ingestion of a home cleaning product
  • Sucked into a vacuum
  • Stepped on
  • Squeezed too hard by a young child
  • Bird bites finger, clamps on – person shakes hand to get bird to release – bird hits floor or wall and dies
  • Run-ins with ceiling fans (Vets call them shredded tweet!)
  • New carpeting outgasses and should not be installed with a bird in the home
  • Second hand smoke
  • Crushed in a sliding glass or any door for that matter
  • Other house pet kills bird
  • Other birds – Lovebirds will bite other birds toes – toe loss can cause a bird to bleed to death rapidly
  • Wrong human food – avocado, chocolate, caffeine
  • Place bird in outdoor cage in the morning, bird bakes in afternoon sun
  • Introduce sick bird into home without quarantine
  • Swallows remote control battery
  • Poisoned or electrocuted by chewing on cell phone
  • Leg band gets caught on toy part
  • Wet seed and some wood debris can create Aspergillus fungus
  • Oven liners
  • Loose & threads threads on bird bedding
  • Scented candles and room fresheners
  • Heavy metal poisoning from an antique brass bird cage
  • Ingesting medication that was dropped on the floor
  • Bird of prey attack while parrot is unattended out of doors
  • Tainted well water
  • camp fires and fire places
  • vinegar + baking soda produces co2

Please ponder this list as you look around your home.

written by

Mitch Rezman, CMO
collaborated with & approved by
Catherine Tobsing, President
© Windy City Parrot, Inc. 2014

AliNavi

Real Name
Ali Guemmi
!!!!!!IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nacho has trouble opening his right eye fully, he has recently started to eat and drink water (with antibiotics inside of it) but still has some issues with his right eye.