• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel hurt her leg?

Erickv96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erick valle
I’ve had this cockatiel for alittle over 2 weeks . She was untrained and now we have her to the point where she will climb onto our fingers when she thinks we have food. She isnt afraid of us as much as she was before. Just today we had her on our finger and we walked alittle bit further from her cage and she decided to jump and fly into the kitchen. When we got her , her wings were already cut. So when she tries to fly she descends pretty rapidly. We think she hurt her foot when she landed on the vase holding the cooking utensils.
she keeps her foot up at all times and if she decides to move she limps and puts the least amount of pressure on the hurt foot. She still gets on our fingers for food and ive notices that when she has both her feet on my fingers she has all of her weight on the good foot , also birds should have both feet clamped on to the finger for support but she wont clamp with the bad foot. We can feel that the bad foot feels really warm. The wife says that one of the toes look alittle more redish purple.
she is also stretching that leg a bit more too.
should we wait a few days or take her to the vet tomorrow?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry your bird got injured! I would take her to the vet tomorrow if she doesn’t appear to be getting better. It sounds like she might need a pain med/anti inflammatory, which is good to have on hand anyway.

Erickv96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erick valle
I’m sorry your bird got injured! I would take her to the vet tomorrow if she doesn’t appear to be getting better. It sounds like she might need a pain med/anti inflammatory, which is good to have on hand anyway.
Thank you. So i have looked at that . And was going to get that tomorrow. Because the stores were already getting ready to close today. So should i give her that and go to the vet the next day ? Or just take her tomorrow?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have never been able to get any without a prescription from a vet. I would see how she seems tomorrow, but I would go to the vet before giving any medication.

Erickv96

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erick valle
I have never been able to get any without a prescription from a vet. I would see how she seems tomorrow, but I would go to the vet before giving any medication.
Thank you i will check her out tomorrow see if she is doing ok
We are really worried only 2 weeks and we have already gotten attached to her
Breaks our hearts to see her this way

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you i will check her out tomorrow see if she is doing ok
We are really worried only 2 weeks and we have already gotten attached to her
Breaks our hearts to see her this way
It’s amazing how fast you can fall in love with them, isn’t it?! I hope she recovers soon, and keep us updated!