• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel help please

amnamack

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amna
Hi. I’m a new member and need some advice. A bit of a back story, I got 2 Cockatiels 2 years ago, a young female and an older male. The male has always been protective of the female and they’ve been inseparable. A couple of days ago the female passed away (she had underlying health issues) and now the male is aggressive and he squawks all the time. He’s only quiet if me or my nephew are near him but doesn’t let us touch him. He’ll gladly sit on our arm at his own will though. We’re thinking of getting him another cockatiel friend to keep him company. But don’t know if that’s a good idea considering he’s being aggressive to us? I just need some advice. Thanks

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would get him another friend. He's confused (and sad) as should be expected. I would look for another older male so there isn't any complications like egg laying.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Amna, welcome to the Avenue,
I´m very sorry for your loss :(

I think a friend will be nice for him, another being of his own kind to be there for him. Remember to keep them caged separate at first.