• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Cockatiel has teal poop...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen0087

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Little Bird started having very blue green droppings a couple hours ago. Every time it gets stuck in her vent and on her tail feathers. When I grabbed some off it was very watery and retained it's shaped instead of squishing, if that makes sense? What can I do for her? I'm pretty sure this has happened before with another cockatiel and she was fine later but it's been so long.:confused:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Has there been anything at all different in Her diet today?

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
I think she ate something funny colored.
Clean out her cage, give fresh water and some millet.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Last edited:

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
I've never seen teal-colored, so that would make me think it was something the bird ingested. See if you can retrace steps and if she was out or somewhere she could have gotten into something. Bright (almost neon like) lime-colored droppings are a sign of a psittacosis infection.

Thayus

Meeting neighbors
Did she play with any metal today? See if you can take her to an AV Avian Vet tomorrow. Bless her.

McLaughlane

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Katie
is she eating a brightly colored pellet mix? My conure's poops are tinged pink because he looooves the pink pellets in his zupreem fruit blend. And I know it's from the zupreem pellets because it is the exact color pink as they are.

If you can't pinpoint it to something harmless, though, I'd definitely give the vet a call.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Poop contains 3 parts.

1...The solid part idfthe feces....which can range in color from pale tan to a dark green.
The color is dependent on what the bird ate, how fast it is moving thru the GI tract, and hydration.

2...Urates which are the white part of the poop. If they are not a creamy white and all together (not scattered looking) then it could be an indication of a problem. If the urates are discolored an ochre or green this could be an indication of a bacterial infection.

3...Urine....is the liquid part of the poop. It should be clear. If cloudy or discolored it it an indication of a problem.

Jen0087

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
It is worse this morning so we are at the vet right now. Unfortunately we do not have any avian specific vets where I live. I have no idea if she got into anything. :(

Attachments

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope the vet does appropriate testing and can treat her!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Jen0087

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Just talked to the vet and he is going to do tests for chlamidiya and some other things. :( Poor baby did not like being seen.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.