• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel has a seemingly painful wing feather, what should I do?

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
A couple of nights ago one of my tiels had a night fright. After comforting him and looking him over, I put him back to bed. I don't know if I just missed it or if it started bleeding after I put him back to bed, but in the morning I noticed just a little bit of dried blood on his wing. He's able to fly and move his wing around just fine, so I don't believe the wing itself is hurt. But he sounds like he's in pain sometimes when he preens that wing. I've tried to look at it but when I try he screams and bites at my fingers. The only thing I've been able to find is a small "feather nub" (but maybe a pin feather?) in that area. I called the vet to see if he should be seen, but they told me they think it's unnecessary because the wing is not actively bleeding and he's able to move his wing okay. He's been acting like normal, but I just hate the idea of him being in pain. If it's a broken feather I'm not seeing, do I need to try and find it and pull it off? Do I just leave it be and it'll sort itself out? Thank you for any advice.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would just leave it if it's not bleeding. You can trim it if it would make it more comfortable for him depending on how it is. But I took a bird first aid class and the vet said a feather should not be pulled unless the bleeding isn't stopping and then a vet should do it if possible. It's actually painful for a bird to have a feather pulled.