• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel getting me evicted- in dire need of help

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I think all the advice that has been already provided is super great. I just wanted to add that Eugene is such a beautiful boy -- I hope everything works out in your new home :hug8:

eugenene

Moving in
Real Name
Iris
Is there anyway you can try to sound proof the room he's in a bit until the screaming gets more under control? (And he is super cute.)
I tried! The walls aren’t that bad but alllll the sounds goes through the door and then it echoes in the hallways through the whole building hahah :’)
I’ve bought those strips for the door but haven’t tried them yet, I definitely will!

eugenene

Moving in
Real Name
Iris
I think all the advice that has been already provided is super great. I just wanted to add that Eugene is such a beautiful boy -- I hope everything works out in your new home :hug8:
Thank you!!

Today I’ve been trying a lot of ignoring the yelling and praising him when he’s had a moment of quiet. It’s been going okay but sadly I wouldnt be able to ignore it if he goes on for too long bc of my neighbors, so I hope that doesn’t happen!

I also want to just tell you guys that my whole building is occupied by vet meds students.. I really don’t get why they can’t be a bit more understanding as they should KNOW how parrots work :’’) very weird

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
if The sound goes through the door... you can put blankets or better yet moving pads across the door to help deaden sound. Walls, too.
If your floors are hard, put down a lot of rugs— even small ones. Roll up a towel and lay it at the crack under the door when you’re home.
But most of all work on training your little buddy. Give him toys, things to shred, foraging opportunities. Let him fly around.

This is a thread I started 2 years ago. I had forgotten about it, sin ce they hardly ever scream now. Sorry it’s long but maybe you can find something useful.

eugenene

Moving in
Real Name
Iris
if The sound goes through the door... you can put blankets or better yet moving pads across the door to help deaden sound. Walls, too.
If your floors are hard, put down a lot of rugs— even small ones. Roll up a towel and lay it at the crack under the door when you’re home.
But most of all work on training your little buddy. Give him toys, things to shred, foraging opportunities. Let him fly around.

This is a thread I started 2 years ago. I had forgotten about it, sin ce they hardly ever scream now. Sorry it’s long but maybe you can find something useful.

Thanks for the advice!! I’ve indeed put rugs on the ground, sadly I’m renting this place so I can’t put anything in the walls that will damage them. I’ve thought about putting a thick blanket in front of the door but ive got no idea how to do so without damaging the walls..

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Thank you!!

Today I’ve been trying a lot of ignoring the yelling and praising him when he’s had a moment of quiet. It’s been going okay but sadly I wouldnt be able to ignore it if he goes on for too long bc of my neighbors, so I hope that doesn’t happen!

I also want to just tell you guys that my whole building is occupied by vet meds students.. I really don’t get why they can’t be a bit more understanding as they should KNOW how parrots work :’’) very weird
Thank you!!

by ignoring the yelling and prasing him when he is quiet is the correct procedure but when it is almost over you will get a burst where he will scream more an instiction burst of behavior as if he does not believe it wont work

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
do not give up enlist your neighbors help by the way that may help with the bighting aswell

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I wrote about the bitting in error

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I would try covering 2-3 sides of the cage during the day and see if that helps. It may help him feel secure.

Kegwai

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
Thanks for the advice!! I’ve indeed put rugs on the ground, sadly I’m renting this place so I can’t put anything in the walls that will damage them. I’ve thought about putting a thick blanket in front of the door but I've got no idea how to do so without damaging the walls..
Hi...new here. I have Cockatiels but have been around birds of all kinds my whole life. You can use the heavy-duty Command hooks across the top of your door. Several in a row will hold up a blanket. Use heavy-duty bulldog clips from Best Buy or Office Supply on the blanket which will then give you something to hook over the Command hook. I have a screechy one as well, but I am retired & home with them all the time. Our CoCo girl will scream if you go into our ensuite bathroom (their family cage is in our bedroom) in the morning. She wants mama & daddy all to herself first thing in the morning.