• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel - gagging/retching (no vomiting) only in late afternoon?

Blue_Seas

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there,

My cockatiel seems to have a time specific symptom. Late afternoon, around 3pm onwards, when he eats he starts doing a vomiting gesture but he is not regurgitating on me, a mirror, a toy, nor is any vomit coming up.

A few weeks ago he DID vomit (twice) and he stayed overnight. Other symptoms were:
  • loose stools
  • yellow urates
  • x-ray showed slightly inflamed liver
he was put on antibiotics for chlamydiosis; stool test showed nothing, and they didn't do blood tests as he was too weak, but it was the most likely cause.

This time I'm not sure what the problem is. Vet has given us metacam twice daily (an anti-inflammatory, not sure what for) and karidox which seems to be a doxycycline antibiotic for chlamydiosis. She said that this is an illness that would stay in the body and reoccur due to stress?

Wondering why it seems to be only in late afternoon. He is drinking more (like he did when he was ill) and seems to poop a little more, sometimes they are a little watery. Vet noticed some tail bobbing at the appointment but it seemed to be only after she handled him. I'm worried about him as he is now a decade old, and I know some live to late 20s but :(

If you have any suggestions of other illness I could look out for symptoms of, or how I could help him feel better, or even how to help give him the medicine!! At the moment I'm adding the liquid to bread, crackers, he won't eat a veg puree :banghead: someone mentioned juice but then I don't know how he would drink such small amounts (he avoids the syringe...) Vet has asked me to contact her in a week if no improvement.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Blue_Seas

Bump again?
He's now started doing it any time after eating. I've began soaking his pellets with water to soften them up.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would contact the vet again. I am wondering if the medicine is upsetting his stomach.

Blue_Seas

I contacted the vet again and she advised to continue with the medication and to bring him in for a crop swab to rule out yeast.

Other than that, she said a virus may not even show up on a test and that treatment would be palliative care with Metacalm :(

the good news is that he is looking better, is more active, is moderating temperature better, and has not actually been sick when he does this motion.