• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel First Clutch!

Dozi

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Hey all!

I wanted a place to document the progression of my Cockatiel's first clutch (and to ask for help where I need it!)

I've wanted baby cockatiels for a long time, although I never planned for it to happen this early in my life so it was a bit of a shock when I suddenly heard some odd noises from the cage and turned to see my two 'tiels mating! Fortunately, I was able to make a nesting box with my boyfriend.

I fed my 'tiels a good mix of nutrients throughout the mating and egg-laying process. Their daily chop consisted of:

• Broccoli, Cauliflower and Kale for the greens
  • Bell Peppers and Carrots for the oranges/yellows
  • Apple (twice a week!)
  • Rice or porridge
  • Egg (twice a week!)
  • Harrison Pellets!
They laid five eggs beautiful eggs in total, however after the third egg I noticed that Bobbi (the female) had become quite lethargic and had even begun to vomit! She couldn't stay on her feet and had a lot of the symptoms of egg binding so I took her to the emergency vet ASAP. She was given some pain killers and the Vet was able to help her push the egg out. After that, the fifth came out fine! I'm unsure why the fourth was so difficult for her, but I'm very glad that I was able to get her some help and avoid what could've been a potentially fatal situation.

The fifth egg turned out to be infertile and, after searching everywhere online, I couldn't decide whether it'd be best to toss the egg or let it stay in the box. Bobbi seemed to make that decision for me, however. She kept pushing the egg to the edge of the box, away from the rest of her eggs, and one day when I was checking the box she began to push it out towards the door. I took the egg for her since it seemed like she really didn't want to keep it!

A few days ago, the worst happened, however. When I opened the door, despite my prior warning (a knock on the door and calling Milo's name since I knew that he was the one in the box), Milo got super spooked. He ended up running forwards and kicking one of the eggs out of the box. I sealed it as quickly as I could with some wax, however fluids had leaked out as well as a tiny bit of blood. I'm hoping that it'll make it since it is only about 5 days from hatching- but we'll just have to wait and see! So far, it appears to have continued development- although I haven't touched it since sealing it, only candling it by shining a light from above. Make sure you're careful with opening the box.

Now, I'm not a smart person, and although it's less than a month before I'll begin to see what mutations my babies will have, I was wondering if anyone here was good when it comes to predicting the mutations that chicks will have? I'll attach some photos of the parents below! So far, one egg has hatched and the other is pipped (and tweeting!). This is day 2 for that first bird. This is the current diet which I am feeding the parents:

• Red Cabbage
  • Carrot
  • Sweetcorn
  • Kale
  • Basil
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Red Pepper
  • Eggfood
  • Probiotic supplement
  • Pets At Home Cockatiel seed mix (I couldn't get Harrison's this week unfortunately!
Should I make any alterations? Also, at what age should I leg band the chicks?

1649251524403.png
1649251540544.png 1649251561054.png

Bobbi- the female- is the pearl one! Milo- the male- is the other one! He has red eyes in most photos which is quite fitting for his rebelliousness haha

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
In England it's a legal requirement if you plan on selling them
First I've heard. They're not on the invasive species list so can you provide links for your sources?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry, yes cockatiel are on the cites list so are included under article 10 - my bad
Yet pet stores still sell tiels without bands so who is supposed to police this?

Last edited:

Dozi

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Sorry, yes cockatiel are on the cites list so are included under article 10 - my bad
Yet pet stores still sell tiels without bands so who is supposed to police this?
Pet stores usually buy the birds from a breeder and then they technically 'rehome' the birds- they can then cut off the leg bands and sell them. If the birds are coming directly from you, you having the breeding birds, then they have to have a leg band on them. If the owner chooses to cut the bands off, then that's a different matter. It's a bit of a strange legal line that's not really well-explained so different parts of england seem to treat it differently. We don't have pet stores here, but we do have aviaries and all of those birds have leg bands when they're sold.

Last edited: