• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Feather Problem

kibimafi

Checking out the neighborhood
(I tried to explain it as clear as possible but my main language is not English and I don’t know how to use these kind of forums so bear with me)
My cockatiel Muffin has been with us for over a year (I don’t know her age). She used to have fluffy and healthy feathers but started losing some tail feathers in the first two months. Over time her feathers got weak. They would break occasionally (even from the middle). Her feather problem wasn’t so noticeable until she lost a bunch of primary wing feathers(?). She could no longer fly. I took her to a vet. He just gave us vitamin drops and said she’ll be fine in a month. Of course it didn’t work. I took her to the same vet again (didn’t have any other choice, there are no avian vets in where I live). This time he gave us an aerosol spray for skin irritations. But her condition only got worse. She started plucking and munching on her feathers. She would scream and the ends of her feathers would come out bloody. Also the feather shapes seemed kinda weird? A month later we found another vet. Yet again not so experienced in exotic animals. We were told that the plucking was because of stress.

After all these unsuccessful treatments we found another vet that seemed far more experienced than the others by chance. We decided to get her examined by him too. When we took here there he just look at her from outside the cage and told us that it’s scabies. Gave us an ectoparazite-antifungal ointment. Told us to apply it on her skin everyday especially the leg area. We couldn’t apply the ointment everyday since it’s almost impossible to hold her still. She would get so stressed too so we did it once every two days. The skin around her eye started getting pink after applying the ointment, I’m not sure if this is a big deal. I might be over analyzing. On the forth application something very unusual happened. She couldn’t stand on perches, lost balance. Faint wheezing and clicking sounds could be heard when she breathed. Didn’t eat nor drink for hours. Didn’t even give reaction to anything. Sometimes she would open her beak a little, swing back and forth. It was night time and all the veterinarians were closed. I stayed up all night checking her if she’s ok. She pooped several times and all her droppings were a blackish brown color (she never pooped like this before). On the other day we immediately took her to the vet that gave us the ointment. He said the black droppings weren’t a big thing and the problem was her immune system (didn’t do any tests or something just looked at her like he did before) Told us to add minerals and vitamins to her water, sprinkle probiotics on her food. I’m very suspicious of him because he didn’t explain the situation clearly even though I asked him multiple times, said that he told us to apply the ointment once in a while but I’m %100 sure he told us to apply it everyday. She eats and drinks just fine now but still a bit weak. Droppings are back to their usual color (green, she eats millets and seeds, still trying to convert to veggies) Sadly the plucking issue continues. She lost so many feathers, her legs are completely bare. Her keelbone looks very sharp too but I’m not sure if that’s because there aren’t many feathers around that area.

I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t even know what her problem is. Everyone is saying different things. I hope someone can help me with this :(
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg IMG_1261.jpg IMG_1264.jpg IMG_1269.jpg IMG_1290.jpg IMG_1293.jpg IMG_1294.jpg IMG_1287.jpg IMG_1284.jpg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She looks very sad. May be a feather disease not scabies. I hope the medicine is not burning her skin. don't get it in her eyes

I'm glad you are taking her to the vet but I wish you were getting more progress as her condition is deteriorated.

I'm no expert but have they mentioned a feather disease. I'm thinking PBFD which will also affect the immune system.

I hope not as its not curable but you can read about feather problems.

I sincerly hope you find a way to help your bird or at least make them as comfortable as possible.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would guess PBFD. The clubbed feathers are a symptom of that disease.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sorry you don't have better vet care where you live.

Not being a vet, I can't diagnose the problem, but I can give you some directions to go in. First she needs to be tested for PBFD immediately. The black stools are almost always an indication of bleeding n the upper gastrointestinal system. A test of the stool for blood and and xray are necessary.

Your baby looks to be in very bad condition - she is quite thin. Is she eating?

kibimafi

She looks very sad. May be a feather disease not scabies. I hope the medicine is not burning her skin. don't get it in her eyes

I'm glad you are taking her to the vet but I wish you were getting more progress as her condition is deteriorated.

I'm no expert but have they mentioned a feather disease. I'm thinking PBFD which will also affect the immune system.

I hope not as its not curable but you can read about feather problems.

I sincerly hope you find a way to help your bird or at least make them as comfortable as possible.
No they haven't. I hope it's not PBFD too :(

kibimafi

I'm sorry you don't have better vet care where you live.

Not being a vet, I can't diagnose the problem, but I can give you some directions to go in. First she needs to be tested for PBFD immediately. The black stools are almost always an indication of bleeding n the upper gastrointestinal system. A test of the stool for blood and and xray are necessary.

Your baby looks to be in very bad condition - she is quite thin. Is she eating?
Unfortunately I can't get her tested in where I live. It's so hard to find avian vets in my country and the virus makes this situation harder. I'll try to take her to a better place.
She does eat but less than before. Thank you for your help

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can send a test off yourself (or have your vet assist you):

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Some ideas & advise from Dr Perry

Dr Perry has a vid on the site...cool.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You can send a test off yourself (or have your vet assist you):

Says they can test abnormal feathers for the disease.

Most that can be done now is to try to get the bird to eat a healthy diet so it can fight whatever it is.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Unfortunately I can't get her tested in where I live. It's so hard to find avian vets in my country and the virus makes this situation harder. I'll try to take her to a better place.
She does eat but less than before. Thank you for your help
hi this is α litrle late but if you ever see she’s not drinking well or her poop shows that she’s dehydrated, unflavored pedialyte is very good to get them back on their feet if they’re having α hard time with drinking, but it’s α temporary solution