• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel eye and nose redness

bakedzitixo

Checking out the neighborhood
Attached is a photo of the infected area, pardon his poopy beak, he wouldn't let me clean it off. He has been acting normally and breathing normally though he has undergone some stress since his cage mate died suddenly on Sunday. The onset of infection happened during the day and I am putting antibiotic ointment on his eye hence the greasy appearance. His poops are occasionally loose but not out of the ordinary, he is about 11 years old. I just want to know if there is any one that has seen something like this and if they could provide any advice until I can get him to the vet tomorrow.

Attachments

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Could be a respiratory infection. Any drainage coming out?

As far as advice, all I can think is to keep him warm and away from drafts until his appt.

Last edited:

bakedzitixo

Checking out the neighborhood
No drainage, just the redness and only the eye is inflamed

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would not be putting "ointment" on it unless advised. It might actually make it worse. It also looks like a possible injury (blunt force).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let us know what happens at the vet's office. Hope that your 'tiel gets better soon. Agree w/ John re: the ointment. Best to check with vet first. My vet did have me putting a very small dab of neosporin on my birds' eye ring when it was slightly red. There are antibiotic/anti-inflammatory opthalmic medications/solutions for our bird friends which are generally prescribed. When one of my birds was injured around his nare/head area the vet had me apply one to two drops of an antibiotic opthalmic solution.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could also be the beginnings of conjunctivitis,,,have him looked at asap. Tylosin helps, but it's usually put in the water, and tiels don't normally consume alot of water. Let us know!:hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Between his cage mate dying and him being sick, I would run, not walk, to the vets office!

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Any updates on the vet visit?