• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Cockatiel emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
BTW, males can prolapse as well.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Not ALL Cockatiels can be visually sexed (Basil in my avatar is one example, he can't be "visually sexed"), there's some that you either a) need to DNA sex or b) wait until they're 6+ months to see behavior

... IF it's a prolapse, it's not going to go away on its own. And do you know how much blood Cockatiels have? very, very little, it's possible for them to bleed to death. Plus you're looking at infection and etc if left untreated.

That's honestly not fair on the Cockatiel, and to leave it is just like shrugging it off and not thinking about the Cockatiels health which is at risk.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
This tiel needs to see a vet right away. My parrotlet prolapsed twice and she needed medical help right away. If it is a prolapse it needs to be kept moist until it can be fixed, put back inside...this is serious no matter what it is. I hope your friend is reading this. And I agree with Pat...if you have a pet, you must be prepared for the proper care of that animal.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I didnt know that about male tiels....well, regardless....that poor little thing needs to see a vet PERIOD....asap

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
Mods.........please close this thread..there is no need to continue talking about this. He won't treat his birds because he can't afford it and thats too bad.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
If he can't/won't take the bird to the vet, you need to do it for him.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Mods.........please close this thread..there is no need to continue talking about this. He won't treat his birds because he can't afford it and thats too bad.
Will do. Thanks for trying to help the little tiel.

Status
Not open for further replies.