• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel eggs help!

Sophievel_

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sophie
So my 8 year old Lutino cockatiel laid eggs for the first time in years. I’m worried she might be caring for the egg too much. I have a camera set up to monitor her. For the past 2 days she hasn’t been eating or drinking. My 2 year old male cockatiel isn’t helping her either. Today I forced her out of the nest to eat and drink. I was wondering if that’s okay? Should I just let her be and trust she’ll come out to care for herself or should I intervene if too much time has gone by.

Sophievel_

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sophie
She only has one. In the past 2 days she didn’t leave her nest at all until I took her out.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Sophie,

Not leaving the nest is a big problem especially if the male is not feeding her. I would also give her a nudge to come out and eat and drink.

Where is her egg? Does she have a nest box? What hours of light does she have?
@Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If she has a nest box I would remove it and put the egg on the bottom of the cage on a paper towel. Keep the food near her so she doesn’t have to venture too far to eat and drink. You can also get dummy eggs, which can be very handy. It’s fine to take her away from her nest in order to get her to eat, drink and get some exercise throughout the day.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think millet might motivate her to leave? My budgies would do anything for millet.