• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel egg hatching?

Rainbow

Moving in
Hello, I haven't posted in awhile, but during that time between now and since, I have decided I'll be getting a cockatiel! I am very excited about this, and have put into months worth of research. I am a teen, and my mother has agreed to allow me to have a bird in one year. I know that I am young, but I've been devoting my time to learning whatever I can about birds. I plan to study to be an avian veterinarian in a college soon. However, I am experiencing a confliction, and seek advice.

I would like to hatch my own cockatiel. I don't know if this is a good idea. I have the time, and was thinking I would benefit from the amazing experience and learn hands-on, and be closer to my 'tiel. I've always loved birds. This might not be such a good idea, so here I am with my questions.

I'm open to adopting from Petco, which is my other option. I suppose I'm just afraid that bringing an older feathered friend into my life might throw my mother off. I wanted to allow her to "grow with the bird", as in be there to know and have a stronger bond from the start. I think it would help her to know that she was there alongside me as I raised it. I'm trying to word this in a way that makes sense, and that was the best I could.

Another thing is that I am almost certain that, with the right amount of very, very monitored and supervised exposure, my cat will understand the bird better, too. I don't know if this is an bad logic. I can't really further describe. Just another symptom of my writer's block.

Should I hatch an egg, or should I buy one from Petsmart?

Much appreciation to you from me for reading this. I really hope it made sense. Have a wonderful day!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think that you should adopt a cockatiel that is in need of a good home, either from a person that has to give up their bird for some reason, or from a rescue. Does the Petco where you live have rehomed birds? I didn’t think they did that. It’s great that your mom is on board, but all birds are different and bonds take time to develop. If she’s truly on board, she should realize that there cannot be any expectations put on any bird. Even babies change as they get older. At least with a mature bird, their personality is mostly set. Also, raising a chick is extremely difficult and many things can go wrong. I strongly recommend you don’t go this route.

Rainbow

Moving in
I think that you should adopt a cockatiel that is in need of a good home, either from a person that has to give up their bird for some reason, or from a rescue. Does the Petco where you live have rehomed birds? I didn’t think they did that. It’s great that your mom is on board, but all birds are different and bonds take time to develop. If she’s truly on board, she should realize that there cannot be any expectations put on any bird. Even babies change as they get older. At least with a mature bird, their personality is mostly set. Also, raising a chick is extremely difficult and many things can go wrong. I strongly recommend you don’t go this route.
I really appreciate this. I think I might look into adopting/rescuing. I don't think my Petco rehomes, but I am certain of a location nearby that does. I live in a big city. I didn't think of this- I am so grateful! Thank you so much! ❤

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I thought long and hard about hatching a Tiel too. I didn't end up doing that. What I did was take a rehome - a ten year old, adult tiel hen. And I'm so happy I took that path. She's an adult, settled bird and I don't need to worry about huge temperament changes or big hormonal/teenage problems/phases - she's been through all that. She was being forced to leave all that she loved and was accustomed to (for at least the fourth time in her life) due to no fault of her own, and no reason that she could understand, and I can feel happy that I was there to give her a place to land and be kept safe and happy. I too strongly recommend taking a rehome :)

Also, you gotta think about the bad side effects of being fully handraised the way your baby would be. There are multiple different opinions on this subject but the general consensus is that being fully handraised has many bad effects on a bird. They're birds; let them at least be raised by other birds before taking them to live an unnatural, humanly modified life :) If someday down the line you wanted to get this bird a friend you would probably have a hard time getting the two to get along because your first bird would have no idea how to interact with its species.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I must agree, get an older bird!

If you are interested in a handraised chick, then get one from a breeder that socializes the chicks with each other/other birds and, hopefully, does not clip wings. (be sure to bird-proof house for a flying bird!)

If you aren't against an adult, there are many great birds in need of homes! :)

My first cockatiel was hand raised, to my knowledge, from hatching. I do believe that she got to socialize with other birds as she is very much a flock orientated bird that also demands human attention! She was a surprise gift to me when she was 5 months old and she's 18 1/2 now. She is of course "different" than other cockatiels. She clearly doesn't know how the "birds and the bees" work, despite seeing it 'first hand' from some other cockatiels. She also has never figured out how to incubate eggs. She understands that her eggs are supposed to go under her... somehow... but gets frustrated and walks off...

I have had several other cockatiels from parent raised ex-breeders to hand raised but neglected individuals. They are all unique, and well... individual, for all their different personalities and quirks. Two foster tiels right now, pretty sure one was hand raised, the other might have been. One is more hands on and friendly where-as the other is happy to be interacted with verbally. (hands on one doesn't like the verbal interaction! lol)

Rainbow

Moving in
I thought long and hard about hatching a Tiel too. I didn't end up doing that. What I did was take a rehome - a ten year old, adult tiel hen. And I'm so happy I took that path. She's an adult, settled bird and I don't need to worry about huge temperament changes or big hormonal/teenage problems/phases - she's been through all that. She was being forced to leave all that she loved and was accustomed to (for at least the fourth time in her life) due to no fault of her own, and no reason that she could understand, and I can feel happy that I was there to give her a place to land and be kept safe and happy. I too strongly recommend taking a rehome :)

Also, you gotta think about the bad side effects of being fully handraised the way your baby would be. There are multiple different opinions on this subject but the general consensus is that being fully handraised has many bad effects on a bird. They're birds; let them at least be raised by other birds before taking them to live an unnatural, humanly modified life :) If someday down the line you wanted to get this bird a friend you would probably have a hard time getting the two to get along because your first bird would have no idea how to interact with its species.
That's a really good point. Thank you so much.

Rainbow

Moving in
I must agree, get an older bird!

If you are interested in a handraised chick, then get one from a breeder that socializes the chicks with each other/other birds and, hopefully, does not clip wings. (be sure to bird-proof house for a flying bird!)

If you aren't against an adult, there are many great birds in need of homes! :)

My first cockatiel was hand raised, to my knowledge, from hatching. I do believe that she got to socialize with other birds as she is very much a flock orientated bird that also demands human attention! She was a surprise gift to me when she was 5 months old and she's 18 1/2 now. She is of course "different" than other cockatiels. She clearly doesn't know how the "birds and the bees" work, despite seeing it 'first hand' from some other cockatiels. She also has never figured out how to incubate eggs. She understands that her eggs are supposed to go under her... somehow... but gets frustrated and walks off...

I have had several other cockatiels from parent raised ex-breeders to hand raised but neglected individuals. They are all unique, and well... individual, for all their different personalities and quirks. Two foster tiels right now, pretty sure one was hand raised, the other might have been. One is more hands on and friendly where-as the other is happy to be interacted with verbally. (hands on one doesn't like the verbal interaction! lol)
Wow. Yes, I'm definitely not hatching a tiel now, and I've got many reasons. I'm so glad I came here. Thank you so much.