• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel eats everything!

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
So I got Plato this Wednesday and everything is going amazingly well. Since Socrates already came sick I never really experienced what was having a real cockatiel. Plato seems very healthy, he's very active and loved the toys I gave him right away. Within two days he was practically fully adapted to the new environment which was a surprise. I also spent the entire Thursday and Friday with him so he bonded to me more than anyone else in the house, but he's still super sweet to everyone else.

But out of everything, the thing that surprised me the most is that he eats EVERYTHING I give him.

I often read about owners who can't get their birds to eat a certain fruit, vegetable, and worst of all, transition them to pellets. When I got Plato he was on an all seed diet. I bought pellets but I didn't want to transition him right away because of the things I had read. Meanwhile I gave him banana, apple, broccoli, etc. I ate some to show him that it was edible and then gave it to him which surprisingly worked very well and he also seemed to really enjoy those foods.

Now I bought some nutribird pellets, which Idk how good they are but I've heard the brand is pretty good and decided to mix some with his seeds today. At first he avoided the pellets and went right to the seeds. I wasn't expecting what happened next at ALL. He tried one of the pellets, but he liked it so much he started to eat ONLY the pellets. He ate almost all the pellets I had mixed in. I was shocked, I thought this was gonna be a battle I had to win but he just went with it so easily

I wonder if it's because he's still very young (almost 4 months old) or if it is because of his personality... How are your birds regarding food?

Anyway, amazing bird
so far, I love him to pieces. I'll try to put some pics in this post c:

Attachments

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Nutri berries are my flocks favorite treat! I feed them mainly fruits a veggies but they all love those berries! I wouldn't make them part of their main diet but for training rewards they are the best!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:heart:Your bird is beautiful, and that’s wonderful that he is so adventurous with food! It is most likely because he is so young and well adjusted. My birds are a bit picky, but not horribly. They eat seeds, pellets, and some veggies and grains.