• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel doesn’t understand toys?

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
so my cockatiel, jupiter, is 1 year and 5 months old already and still doesn’t understand the concept of toys. how can i introduce them to her and what type of toys would be good for a bird with no experience?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Shedding toys are often a winner with the smaller birds.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Have you tried playing with them yourself? Let her watch you playing with them and having fun. As @Shezbug suggested shredding toys are often more popular so cardboard, soft wood like balsa. Bells (safe ones) are fun too.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
What have you tried so far?

I think foraging is a good start. You can put paper over her food or make a foraging tray using shredded paper or beads. You may have to show her there's food to be found!

Some stuff they like to chew: paper, cardboard, twine, rattan, balsa. Just make sure she doesn't ingest them. Like mentioned by Shezbug and Ripshod, sometimes they just need some guidance on how these strange things work :roflmao:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here are some tips :)

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
Try target training them to the toys and my smaller birds like the colorful toys that make sounds like bells and beads

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Tiels usually like toys that are easy to shred. Toys made from balsa. Or finger trap toys stuffed with crinkle paper. An easy thing to do too is just to weave some narrow strips of paper through the cage bars. My tiels love just to chew on paper.

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
Here are some tips :)

thank you so much!

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
What have you tried so far?

I think foraging is a good start. You can put paper over her food or make a foraging tray using shredded paper or beads. You may have to show her there's food to be found!

Some stuff they like to chew: paper, cardboard, twine, rattan, balsa. Just make sure she doesn't ingest them. Like mentioned by Shezbug and Ripshod, sometimes they just need some guidance on how these strange things work :roflmao:
i got her multiple toys but the one i see her eyeballing a lot, and i’ve actually seen her biting is this medium sized toy and it has small flat wood blocks and small rope! but that’s about it.

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
Have you tried playing with them yourself? Let her watch you playing with them and having fun. As @Shezbug suggested shredding toys are often more popular so cardboard, soft wood like balsa. Bells (safe ones) are fun too.
i’ve tried just laying in bed or walking by the cage and play with them but i think she’s scared so i’m gonna try to start her out on toys that are smaller than her to see how she reacts because she loves tearing up the paper in my room!

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
i’ve tried just laying in bed or walking by the cage and play with them but i think she’s scared so i’m gonna try to start her out on toys that are smaller than her to see how she reacts because she loves tearing up the paper in my room!
If that's the case, you could try pinning a whole sheet of paper up in the cage.