• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel died after 2 days- should i report the breeder?

lizcockati

Moving in
Real Name
Liz
Hi everyone,
I am absoloutely heart broken that my new cockatiel passed away the other night. I originally found the breeder on a pet website Pets4Homes. The breeder had many birds crowded in small cages. I dont want this to happen to anyone else and really need some advice on what action to take- should i report the breeder?

I dont have any other birds, when I picked him up he was a bit fluffy and became comfortable with me quickly. I made sure to spend lots of time with him all day to make sure he was ok. Then his health got worse- diarriha and sleeping all day.

I spoke to the breeder about my concerns who advised me to feed him ONIONS to make him feel better! Onions are toxic to cockatiels so I really began to question how reputable he was.

I booked the bird a vet appointment for early the next morning but unfortunately when i woke up to check up on him he had already died.

Totally saddened by this whole experience and crying all day. I called the breeder who said he had died because he could not adjust to a new home... I believe that he was sick all along- surely it isnt normal that a bird dies after just a couple days!

Should I report the breeder? His poor advice and the small cages really worry me and I dont want anyone or any bird to go through my experience.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry for what you experienced and I am really sorry you lost your new buddy. Being fluffy the first day you met him, he may have already been sick :(

I do not know about the reporting side of things so I can not comment there and laws are different everywhere around the world so not knowing where you are makes it harder again to advise. I know here in Aus they just have to have water (not even perfectly clean) a cage (could be too small or even crowded) and some type of food- the rules regarding cleanliness, space and decent suitable food for the individual birds requirements are pretty relaxed so things like enrichment and other particulars are often not really that strict unfortunately.

Moving a bird from a known environment to a new place is usually very very stressful so it can have bad effects on the immune system and allow an already unwell bird to go down hill very fast. Sounds like this is what happened to your little guy :(
The advice you were given was certainly not good but a lot of advice given by pet stores and breeders is rather questionable so I am not sure reporting on that is going to even be really taken seriously. I am assuming you did not feed the onions so this is nothing that could have added to the birds death and therefore I personally would be wanting my money back or a replacement bird if you trust the breeder enough to get another bird from them after your experience with them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh no, I´m so sorry for your loss Liz! :sadhug:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Report him to who? There are no breeder police.

This is all too common a scenario. Backyard clueless breeders toying with the life of defenceless animals.

My advice to you is stay away from all breeders. Go to a rescue/shelter and become the saviour of a special bird out there that is looking for “you”.

lizcockati

Moving in
Real Name
Liz
Hi there,
Thank you so much for helpful answer. Its been extremely difficult for me as you can imagine. I agree he must of been ill all alond and the added stress made it worse.

I am talking to the breeder now who denys any responsibility for illness and will not give me a refund. But i will make sure to look up the welfare standards for cockatiel birds in the UK to see if I can warn other owners.

It makes me feel extremely concerned about owning another bird. The breeder just says that some birds cant adapt so die... which is a rediculous excuse.

Thank you so much for confirming my initial instincts and for helping me with this situation.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to hear about your tiel. It sounds like he was sick when you got him, possibly (probably?) due to the poor conditions in which he was raised. I would also contact the Parrot Society UK to see if they have any suggestions on what steps to take.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So sorry for your loss. :(

If you still have your tiel's body and have not frozen it, then ideally, it would be best to get a necropsy done to find out what killed him. This may, or may not, confirm if the breeder was at fault.. although it kind of sounds like he is.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry you lost your new little friend. It does seem like he was sick before you got him. I hope you find another bird to love, and I think a rescue is a great idea!
:sadhug2:

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Hi everyone,
I am absoloutely heart broken that my new cockatiel passed away the other night. I originally found the breeder on a pet website Pets4Homes. The breeder had many birds crowded in small cages. I dont want this to happen to anyone else and really need some advice on what action to take- should i report the breeder?

I dont have any other birds, when I picked him up he was a bit fluffy and became comfortable with me quickly. I made sure to spend lots of time with him all day to make sure he was ok. Then his health got worse- diarriha and sleeping all day.

I spoke to the breeder about my concerns who advised me to feed him ONIONS to make him feel better! Onions are toxic to cockatiels so I really began to question how reputable he was.

I booked the bird a vet appointment for early the next morning but unfortunately when i woke up to check up on him he had already died.

Totally saddened by this whole experience and crying all day. I called the breeder who said he had died because he could not adjust to a new home... I believe that he was sick all along- surely it isnt normal that a bird dies after just a couple days!

Should I report the breeder? His poor advice and the small cages really worry me and I dont want anyone or any bird to go through my experience.
That's horrible, I'm really sorry, what a painful experience. My tiel of 24 years died in Dec. I think the bird definitely wasn't alright, they don't die whilst adjusting to a loving home. Again my condolences

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Report him to who? There are no breeder police.

This is all too common a scenario. Backyard clueless breeders toying with the life of defenceless animals.

My advice to you is stay away from all breeders. Go to a rescue/shelter and become the saviour of a special bird out there that is looking for “you”.
I got my 5 month old tiel from a breeder and he's perfect.Mind you the people who own the shop are very good. I tried a rescue organisation, went through their procedure, was accepted and then they refused to communicate with me. I very happy with my new hand-fed bird

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Hi there,
Thank you so much for helpful answer. Its been extremely difficult for me as you can imagine. I agree he must of been ill all alond and the added stress made it worse.

I am talking to the breeder now who denys any responsibility for illness and will not give me a refund. But i will make sure to look up the welfare standards for cockatiel birds in the UK to see if I can warn other owners.

It makes me feel extremely concerned about owning another bird. The breeder just says that some birds cant adapt so die... which is a rediculous excuse.

Thank you so much for confirming my initial instincts and for helping me with this situation.
Appalling, obviously dodgy and inhumain

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am talking to the breeder now who denys any responsibility for illness and will not give me a refund.
This is expected. Breeder will blame this on you. You are wasting your breath. I would tell the breeder that you are going to post your experience on social media for all to read. This should concern him. Then please find a rescue because adoption is a sweet way to get a bird.