• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Cockatiel Crying? Don't understand Behavior.

Charlton

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! New guy here. Our cockatiel, spike, is a rescue and she is the first bird i've bonded with and cared for. Almost all her behaviors in some way or another make sense to me so far, all except this one. I keep swinging between that she's literally learned to mess with me get what she wants, or that she's trying to tell me something more. Since I know I don't know what i'm talking about, I'm here to ask the folks who do.

This sound is nearly impossible to accurately describe, so I'm attempting to embed a video that will elucidate.

Also here's a link to the same video in my gdrive just in case :
IMG_4148.MOV - Google Drive

What in the world is she doing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
That's the noise my tiels make when they want to mate.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She’s lookin’ for a little action!;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Charlton If you had 2 tiels one would be making that "come hither" tweeting and then you'd be hearing some of what I call "breathless" tweeting with your lady making heart wings while mister "took care of business".

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can't get a sound on the vid.

kanth

Strolling the yard
I was about to make a thread about my lovebirds making this sound. I assume it means the same thing? They just started making this sound about a week ago.

Charlton

Checking out the neighborhood
:omg:

So this being what is it is.... what do I do?! I can relax now knowing it's not something health related. Maybe a fine solution is to do nothing, however it makes me feel like she could use some kind of enrichment or activity. However, if birds are anything like people it's going to be difficult to find something that will overtake that particular drive.

Also are there any kind of timing related things with mating in Tiels, as in do they have a season or cycle, or anything of the sort.

Also, again a huge thanks to everyone and the forum itself. As I'm sure you're all aware we can seriously stress out over the health of our loved companions. It's silly but it was a big relief for me. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, they definitely do worry us! Spring is usually a more hormonal time for parrots, and I notice my tiels also get hormonal in the Fall. Some ways to help curb hormones are to decrease daylight hours, cut down on misting, limit wet foods, remove any potential nesting sites, rearrange her cage, and never pet her anywhere but her head. When my tiels get into that mode, I usually distract them with something. It’s not really a big deal, and it doesn’t necessarily mean that she will start laying eggs.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So this being what is it is.... what do I do?!
Maybe a fine solution is to do nothing,
It is what it is...a natural thing.
Yes, they definitely do worry us! Spring is usually a more hormonal time for parrots, and I notice my tiels also get hormonal in the Fall. Some ways to help curb hormones are to decrease daylight hours, cut down on misting, limit wet foods, remove any potential nesting sites, rearrange her cage, and never pet her anywhere but her head. When my tiels get into that mode, I usually distract them with something. It’s not really a big deal, and it doesn’t necessarily mean that she will start laying eggs.
All fine ideas.

I find boys are much harder to deal with at "silly season"...those hormones will drive them to do some weird things! Sunshine Tiel (a boy) will "do his thing" on the edges and corners of his food bowls...and will do it two or three times a day. :wideyed:
While he's doing it, he'll look at you and make sweet little sounds...while staring at you! It's kind of creepy, if you think of it...;)

Another problem...Sunshine's tail always looks messy...because he dragging his tail in his food while he's doing the nasty of the food bowl...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can do things to not encourage the behavior- like only pet her head. Don't stroke her back or as the lady that teaches bird classes at our rescue says, her bikini areas. LOL. Also make sure she gets enough sleep, 10-12 hours.