• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel crop wash

Anu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anagha Dalvi
We have been running to emergency vets last 15 days. My baby is doing okay now and antifungal and crop motility medications. I would like to learn to do crop wash of cockatiel if anyone is willing to help just incase if i come across problem. we are taking all precautions. I have a medical degree and Iam in biomedical research for over 10 years. I cant afford huge bills as currently unemployed. Some videos with things to avoid would be appreciated. vets think it is autoimmune conditions so scared it could happen often.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is not something that you should be learning to do from a youtube video. Can you get a vet to show you how?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Can you provide more information? Are you raising cockatiels, or only have the one? How old is it? Are you in the US?

Anu

Real Name
Anagha Dalvi
I just have one pet cockatiel. Due to covid, I don't even get to go inside the clinic,Vet will just ask me to give the pet with the nurse and ask us to wait or leave until treatment. I guess, vet are interested in making more money and they will not show me how to do it because how will they get business if they showed me how to do it? I have spent $2000 and cannot afford more. My pet is doing well but I am worried what if this happens again? Meanwhile they arenot even diagnosing the condition after so many tests and claiming it is something autoimmune which is ridiculous. I think it is related to weaning issues and they are just exploiting me. They did several things blood tests,crop swab,poop test,gram staining

Last edited:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I just have one pet cockatiel. Due to covid, I don't even get to go inside the clinic,Vet will just ask me to give the pet with the nurse and ask us to wait or leave until treatment. I guess, vet are interested in making more money and they will not show me how to do it because how will they get business if they showed me how to do it? I have spent $2000 and cannot afford more. My pet is doing well but I am worried what if this happens again? Meanwhile they arenot even diagnosing the condition after so many tests and claiming it is something autoimmune which is ridiculous. I think it is related to weaning issues and they are just exploiting me. They did several things blood tests,crop swab,poop test,gram staining
Even with covid19 protocols, a vet should be willing to bring you into an exam room (provided you use a mask) in order to show you how to do certain at-home procedures. My vet has "wait in the car" protocols for most things, but allowed me into an exam room in order to teach me how to tube feed my cat.

If your vet isn't willing to make exceptions given the necessity of showing you in-person, then it might be a good idea to find a vet that will.

Anu

Real Name
Anagha Dalvi
Hi, Thanks for your suggestion. The vets I went to did not allow me inside and they were even not giving me complete information about the medications prescribed. They are taking advantage of my situation. Everytime I ask them anything they will say take another appointment which is $150. I have never seen such exploitation. Sorry for ranting but I feel helpless. I cannot afford to go to more vets. I would appreciate any help with regard to crop flushing. I have a PhD in biomedical research and I have handled small animal surgeries like in mouse. So I feel confident I can easily do this if it were happening again. I just need more information because this is my precious baby.

Last edited: