• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel crop suddenly swollen

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
hello.
so my cockatiel suddenly has her crop swollen as the title says, and i'm worried why. i cannot get her to any vet soon, so i hope some of you might know what's wrong with her and how to treat her. so, a little bit of background and what i suspect; my cockatiel loves eating salted peanuts, and i've been giving her those quite randomly for, about 3 weeks now. i've always made sure she drinks afterwards, and she always does that. the amount i give is sometimes quite random, but usually 1 half a day, if even that. i will discontinue to give her any salted nuts from now on. but back to the crop, so it has just recently started looking bloated, it doesn't really feel like anything too special when i touch it, it feels solid (i've heard that's how a crop is supposed to feel like). she doesn't seem to feel any pain, and is all normal when it comes to behaviour, eating, drinking and pooping.
sorry for the image being horizontal. the picture also makes the crop look huge, it honestly isn't that big, but noticeable from the sideview.
as a more info, she mainly eats seeds, and gets to fly as much as she wants. i've tried to make her eat pellets, but she seems to rather starve than eat anything else apparently..
i hope you guys understood and can help me out a little bit, until i get to take her to the vet

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry, but I don't know much about this sort of thing. When have you scheduled the vet visit for? Hopefully not too far in the future. I'm glad you decided to stop giving salted peanuts. Anything with salt added is not good for birds. I hope she will be okay!

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Tiel Feathers//
i'll be calling my n1 choice of avian vet tomorrow and hopefully schedule a visit this week. lucky for me, there are 2 different avian vets nearby i know of so i should be able to get a time very soon. atleast i hope.

as a sidenote, i'll be checking this thread most likely multiple times a day so if anyone has any ideas please tell me. i really hope she just got a little sick from the extra salt she's been getting and that it wouldn't be a tumor or anything..

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok ,salted peanuts are a definite no-no...actually most peanuts have underlying mold and or other business in them. The crop may be bloated from undigested food or gas from fermented peanuts . Stop the peanuts now and forever...salt is also a no- no,,can cause severe dehydration as well as other health problems. She could also have a crop impaction, ,the crop should feel firm. But yet squishy..you need to keep her hydrated and watch her poo..a little Braggs apple cider vinegar wont hurt to help clear that crop..add 1 tsp per cup.of water..she may or may not need a crop flush and, or antibiotics for a yeast issue..just being truthful here honey..hope she's okay.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I'm sorry - I don't know anything about this - I have not seen this in any of my birds. Please get her to a vet soon - and keep us updated. I hope she is Ok.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
thank you birdbabe for your great reply, and thank you sunnysmom for tagging her. ^^ i'm gonna take her to the vet and let the vet do their magic rather than trying start giving her some own self made vinegar water lol, since i'm very new (obviously) when it comes to birds. i read off some article when trying to figure out is it ok to give birds salted nuts and the article said there has been no proven damage it could cause but that it wouldn't be something to eat constantly. guess the article was outdated or something. i did also research multiple different sites yet found nothing about salted nuts being a big "no-no". and as i said, everything is normal when it comes to her current stage, poop, drinking and eating. i have been keeping my eye on her

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
just got back from the vet, and the swollen crop was not because of the salted nuts, but because of her lack of vitamins due to seed only diet. i got parafine oil (i believe that's how it is called in english) and am supposed to give her a few drops if the crop seems to get swollen again. oh yeah, forgot to mention the crop was back to normal today, will be getting some vitamins and mix them with seeds and she should be a ok :)

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You should really try adding pellets and vegetables to the diet over vitamin supplements. Have you tried these before with him?

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
i've tried multiple times, but she refuses to eat anything else except seed mix. those food sticks are something she loves to eat and they usually have all sorts of pellets, veggies and fruits. she literally lost half of her weight and rather ate paper from the bottom of the cage than try pellets. i've tried moistening them, no results, put some honey, no results. won't even eat when mixed withing the seeds. same thing with veggies and fruits.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad she's going to be okay! Maybe try crumbling the pellets up, moistening them, and sprinkling them on her seeds. That way she has to eat some of them to get to the seeds because they will stick. You can add more and more over time.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad she's okay. Tiels are sometimes tough to get to try new foods. When I had my tiel, I fed about 50% seeds, 10% pellets and the rest vegetables, etc. It took me months to get him to try vegetables but once he started he loved them. So maybe just keep trying. The first vegetable he ate was broccoli chopped into little pieces (raw). The tops look like little seeds that way. Also, you can try eating with him. My tiel always was interested in whatever I was eating. LOL. Also, I don't know if you have nutriberries where you are but often cockatiels take to eating those easier than regular pellets.