• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel couple fighting over eggs, a bitten foot and moving out

icosaurus

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey! I'm not sure if this is the right section to post, but I kinda need some help...
I have had three feathered children, one girl and two boys, all cockatiels, for around two years now. For many reasons, I had to temporarily move in with my mother-in-law and her adorable cat, but that meant a no-no for my babies coming with me, so they stayed at my father's place until I could move into my own place (which took around three months, i'll be moving next month). My dad used to breed parakeet when he was younger so, against my will and despite many protests, he bought a nest box and now, in the begging of winter, they're laying eggs. Not only that, but the parents are showing to be much more territorial than (what i believe is) normal. When they trade places for who sits on the eggs, there's always a fight and, during one of their patrol-change fights, the girl bit the boy's foot and his finger bled. The foot's being taken care of, I came home to be sure it's healing and he's not nibbing on it and it's going well (but I do accept tips).
So I don't really know what to do. I have both the issue of can't move them out with eggs or babies and them getting hurt while fighting for territory.
I know I can't just take the nest out, I thought about replacing the eggs with fake ones, but I don't know when would be a good time to do it (they are always in the box), and that wouldn't solve the fighting issue.
I'm quite desperate with the whole situation and I just want to solve it as smoothly as possible.
Thank you!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You can remove the father from the cage and the mother can take care of herself and the eggs. If she is biting and drawing blood then you should definitely separate them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue.

I´m sorry about the situation you have been placed in. As Laurie said, remove the male for his safety is the first thing.

As for the eggs, you could boil them and replace them back in the nest.
Make sure the male is out of the cage first, put a large sprig of millet in the cage in a visible place, put a pan of water on the stove, wait for it to come to the boil. Then get a piece of card or thin plastic, slide it between the cage and the nest box blocking the hole, and deal with the eggs. They are so small, just a minute in boiling water will do it. Blow it to help it cool quicker, but be sure it is completely cooled down to room temp before putting it back.

This will also make you move to your new place easier next month :)