• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel constantly screaming

Birbklaus

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mia
Hello I have a male cockatiel named Klaus. He is over a year old and we’ve had him since he was 2-3 months old. For the past 2 months he has been screaming randomly to the point we’re I think something is wrong with him. I took him to the vet and he’s healthy. My vet said to maybe consider a friend for him but he’s never been around other birds and I don’t have the time for two birds or the money. Klaus gets daily attention for multiple hours. He’s out of his cage for well over 6 hours a day . Recently when I take him out of his cage he begins to scream and doesn’t stop for 2-3 hours later . We are in the same room as him and he will sit on my shoulder and still scream. I make sure that it’s not to loud in the room, it’s nice and warm in the room and make sure his food is filled and he has fresh water . Whenever he is quit I make sure I give him lots of attention but it’s been hard lately with him screaming constantly . What can I do to try and get him to stop screaming while we are in the room with him ? I’m not sure what he wants and I don’t know what to do at this point

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Mia :)

What enrichment are you offering? Does he have a variety of toys? different foraging opportunities?

Maybe this article by Pamela Clark will help; Easiest Behavior Fixes Ever!

candy_sky

Moving in
Does he actually play with the toys? Maybe he's not interested in this particular type of toys. I know mine is quite picky.
It does sound as if he might appreciate a second cockatiel though. Have you tried playing classical music for him? Often it calms them down and distracts them, and he might try whistling nicely and replace the screaming with it.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
He might be making a flock call based on the fact that he has tons of toys and is healthy. My Tiel would make a lot of noise before I got him his mate, and my current cockatiel Ember makes flock calls whenever she is away from another bird.
This is a video of what a flock call sounds like which could match to your birds yelling,

If your not able to get a second cockatiel then you will have to try different ways to make him stop yelling by continuing to ignore his noise.

Skye

Strolling the yard
He might be making a flock call based on the fact that he has tons of toys and is healthy. My Tiel would make a lot of noise before I got him his mate, and my current cockatiel Ember makes flock calls whenever she is away from another bird.
This is a video of what a flock call sounds like which could match to your birds yelling,

If your not able to get a second cockatiel then you will have to try different ways to make him stop yelling by continuing to ignore his noise.
I agree with this. My past budgie, Skye, did not have a bird friend for a long time, and he would scream SO loud for what seemed like no reason! It was definitely not out of pain or anything like that, and he would still scream with us around. Later we got another male and bonded them. He would still vocalize and scream occasionally, but I did not catch him doing that piercing scream as often.

I will add though that even with my current budgies always together, they like to do that same loud scream but only in the morning not long after they wake up. Also, they can hear the slightest sound of what may sort of sound like a bird and go into screaming mode, but that is just for a couple minutes.

Birbklaus

Real Name
Mia
Does he actually play with the toys? Maybe he's not interested in this particular type of toys. I know mine is quite picky.
It does sound as if he might appreciate a second cockatiel though. Have you tried playing classical music for him? Often it calms them down and distracts them, and he might try whistling nicely and replace the screaming with it.
He has some toys that he does play with . He loves toys that are paper based . And I typically will buy those for him . I haven’t tried classical music but I can try and update you

Birbklaus

Real Name
Mia
I agree with this. My past budgie, Skye, did not have a bird friend for a long time, and he would scream SO loud for what seemed like no reason! It was definitely not out of pain or anything like that, and he would still scream with us around. Later we got another male and bonded them. He would still vocalize and scream occasionally, but I did not catch him doing that piercing scream as often.

I will add though that even with my current budgies always together, they like to do that same loud scream but only in the morning not long after they wake up. Also, they can hear the slightest sound of what may sort of sound like a bird and go into screaming mode, but that is just for a couple minutes.
I’m just not able to get another bird. I would love to but 1. I’m a full time college student and I wok full time as well 2. I’m nervous I’m going to get a male that screams even more and this habit doesn’t stop.

Skye

Strolling the yard
I’m just not able to get another bird. I would love to but 1. I’m a full time college student and I wok full time as well 2. I’m nervous I’m going to get a male that screams even more and this habit doesn’t stop.
I completely understand. :) I meant to say that I also think he is making a flock call considering your situation, and brought up an instance of when my bird was doing it. If I knew exactly what you should do to make him quieter, I would tell you. But the only other loud bird I owned was also a cockatiel, and I knew he was loud because he ALWAYS wanted to be out of the cage with only me. Then he would be quiet. Your situation is quite different.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Whenever he starts screaming turn your back for a minute. This shows that you are not rewarding this behaviour through attention.