• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Comic

BelleBelle

Meeting neighbors
Sorry to bother you. A new comic coming soon, but Mellie, the parakeet is acting strangely. ADVICE PLEASE. I'm hoping someone can give some advice or input. Mel, laid eggs a few weeks ago. She had been sitting on one of them for almost 3 weeks, but suddenly seemed to lose interest. She has now gotten into the habit of sticking her claw into the top of her beak and then she throws up on her foot, and then proceeds to eat it. I am so worried about her, because she keeps doing it again and again and again. I think she's gone insane. She is making herself throw-up with her foot. She's obsessed and doesn't even want to come out of the cage. Any advice would be great. I can't find anyone with the same experience. Thank you!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry to bother you. A new comic coming soon, but Mellie, the parakeet is acting strangely. ADVICE PLEASE. I'm hoping someone can give some advice or input. Mel, laid eggs a few weeks ago. She had been sitting on one of them for almost 3 weeks, but suddenly seemed to lose interest. She has now gotten into the habit of sticking her claw into the top of her beak and then she throws up on her foot, and then proceeds to eat it. I am so worried about her, because she keeps doing it again and again and again. I think she's gone insane. She is making herself throw-up with her foot. She's obsessed and doesn't even want to come out of the cage. Any advice would be great. I can't find anyone with the same experience. Thank you!
@Lady Jane ? @Monica ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've heard of other birds doing this.... cockatiels and, I think, lovebirds? It wouldn't hurt to rule out medical causes in all honesty.

If perfectly healthy, you can try training new behaviors and increase foraging activities.

BelleBelle

Meeting neighbors
I've heard of other birds doing this.... cockatiels and, I think, lovebirds? It wouldn't hurt to rule out medical causes in all honesty.

If perfectly healthy, you can try training new behaviors and increase foraging activities.
Thank you for everyone's advice.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When did she abandon her eggs? Have you removed them?
I second what Monica said, best have a little check up and make sure she´s ok :)

BelleBelle

Meeting neighbors
When did she abandon her eggs? Have you removed them?
I second what Monica said, best have a little check up and make sure she´s ok :)
Thanks for responding. It's been about a couple weeks since she abandoned her eggs and yes, I did remove it. :) They say it's hormonal behavior and I should just keep an eye on her.