• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel colour mutation

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think he's a pied pearl. And since he's a boy, he will molt out eventually the pearl type markings. But I'll tag some people to see what they think.

@Tiel Feathers @Monica

Gladriele

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Genevieve
He's so beautiful :)
Mine are yet to go through a Molt - Anyone know what mine might look like
Im having so much trouble determining hahaha

I know the poo is watery - they were only home 2 days at this point and very scared. It's normal now :)

Attachments

Last edited:

MarieBux

Moving in
I think he's a pied pearl. And since he's a boy, he will molt out eventually the pearl type markings. But I'll tag some people to see what they think.

@Tiel Feathers @Monica
Thankyou! I should add though... he us nearly 2 years old now so he has had a few months now . So I am surprised he still had the pearl markings

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thankyou! I should add though... he us nearly 2 years old now so he has had a few months now . So I am surprised he still had the pearl markings
The pearl pied mutation can retain their pearls longer for some reason. Either that, or he's a girl..... But I think the markings would be more distinct if he was a girl. Have they changed at all since you got him?

Sookitiel

Meeting neighbors
I have a photo of the different types of mutations 89E3A3ED-52F9-4D27-84E8-80DD88F677B3.jpeg

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Wow he’s beautiful! Reminds me of a mosaic.

I’d lean towards a heavily pied pearl as well. His base color is so light! Very striking. He should in theory molt out some of that remaining pearling.

Here’s an example of a fully matured male pearl pied. FD3CA129-EE16-4E83-AE3B-1723DC90B1FA.jpeg

MarieBux

Moving in
The pearl pied mutation can retain their pearls longer for some reason. Either that, or he's a girl..... But I think the markings would be more distinct if he was a girl. Have they changed at all since you got him?
I see, he hasn't really changed since I got him unfortunately, he has a few molts. But I know for sure that he is a male as I have a female (daisy). They have actually laid a cluch of eggs unexpectedly not long ago. It was unexpected as I did think he was a female when I brought him home.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unless the eggs hatched, you don't know that he is male. Females will lay unfertilised eggs and parrots can and do form same-sex pairs.

Personally I would suggest a DNA test. A vet can take a spot of blood and send it to a lab for testing. This will at least let you know whether the bird has ZW (female) or ZZ (male) chromosomes.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I see, he hasn't really changed since I got him unfortunately, he has a few molts. But I know for sure that he is a male as I have a female (daisy). They have actually laid a cluch of eggs unexpectedly not long ago. It was unexpected as I did think he was a female when I brought him home.
Do you have a picture of the chick feathered out?

Pearl pied is a good possibility. I suspect silver as well.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He's gorgeous!! And I love the name. :D

MarieBux

Moving in
Thankyou all for your replys!!! You all been very helpful ... a little update since I last posted the eggs have hatched

iMoosker

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Moosker
More specifically it's a heavy pied pearl