• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel color mutation unknown

22mcgek

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kylin
hello, I purchased a cockatiel last week from a local pet store and was wondering if anyone can tell me if he has had his first molt yet, and what his color mutation is, I’ve attached pictures. Thanks!! p.s. I was also wondering if anyone has any tips for taming him

Attachments

22mcgek

Real Name
Kylin
also the pet store told me he’s young, but I’m not sure of his actual age. But ive attached a picture of him with his siblings in the store, he’s all the way to the right.

Attachments

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
hello, I purchased a cockatiel last week from a local pet store and was wondering if anyone can tell me if he has had his first molt yet, and what his color mutation is, I’ve attached pictures. Thanks!! p.s. I was also wondering if anyone has any tips for taming him
He’s such a cutie. I’m not great on colour mutations, but to me, he looks like a normal colouring but he does have some yellow on his back and chest. @Monica did help me with identifying my cockatiels colour mutation so they may be able to help you. :)

As for advice for taming him, I’ve recently got a cockatiel around a month ago so I can give you tips on how I successfully tamed and hand tamed my cockatiel. As you got him last week, he has had plenty of time to get used to his new surroundings in his cage and your home, so it is a perfect time to start taming him. What I did with my cockatiel, is I started to let him get used to the presence of myself and my hand (so he associates my hand with positivity). To do this, I just sat near my cockatiel’s cage and spoke to him (I would recommend reading to him), then slowly started to place my hand near the cage/leaned my hand on the outside of the cage for afew days until he got used to my hand.

Now that he’s gotten used to your hand near him, you can start to place your hand inside of the cage but not too near him for afew minutes about 3 times a day everyday. Once he gets used to your hand inside the cage, you can try to hold up a treat in your hand (I would recommend millet) and then slowly try to entice your cockatiel to get on your hand to eat the treat!

From there you can try teaching your cockatiel to step up, with this, take him into a separate room from his cage and put him on a stand (I would recommend getting a T-stand) and gently push your finger above his feet but below his chest and say “up”, when he does, reward him. Repeat this afew times a day everyday.

Here are afew more resources that I used to help me:

Hope this helped! :D:tieln:

BirbBirdy

Strolling the yard
He’s such a cutie. I’m not great on colour mutations, but to me, he looks like a normal colouring but he does have some yellow on his back and chest. @Monica did help me with identifying my cockatiels colour mutation so they may be able to help you. :)

As for advice for taming him, I’ve recently got a cockatiel around a month ago so I can give you tips on how I successfully tamed and hand tamed my cockatiel. As you got him last week, he has had plenty of time to get used to his new surroundings in his cage and your home, so it is a perfect time to start taming him. What I did with my cockatiel, is I started to let him get used to the presence of myself and my hand (so he associates my hand with positivity). To do this, I just sat near my cockatiel’s cage and spoke to him (I would recommend reading to him), then slowly started to place my hand near the cage/leaned my hand on the outside of the cage for afew days until he got used to my hand.

Now that he’s gotten used to your hand near him, you can start to place your hand inside of the cage but not too near him for afew minutes about 3 times a day everyday. Once he gets used to your hand inside the cage, you can try to hold up a treat in your hand (I would recommend millet) and then slowly try to entice your cockatiel to get on your hand to eat the treat!

From there you can try teaching your cockatiel to step up, with this, take him into a separate room from his cage and put him on a stand (I would recommend getting a T-stand) and gently push your finger above his feet but below his chest and say “up”, when he does, reward him. Repeat this afew times a day everyday.

Here are afew more resources that I used to help me:

Hope this helped! :D:tieln:
Just to add, my cockatiel was around 11 weeks when I got him, so I would guess your cockatiel is around the same age if the pet shop says he’s young.

Cockatiels go through their first malt between 6-12 months, so he’s not gone through his first malt yet if he’s a young cockatiel.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He's a normal grey, and I would say he's well into his first moult so probably 8-9 months or older.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
He's a normal grey, and he is at least 9 months old, most likely 12 months or older . He is not a very young bird but a young adult or he could even be older up to 2+ years. I think it may take awhile to tame him. He will most likely be very scared for a couple of weeks in a new environment and not near birds like he was for all of his life. I suggest going slow and just being around the cage so he gets used to you for 2-3 weeks. Then you can find out what his favorite foods are and work on taming with food bribery (Offering him food from your hands or just dropping treats in his dish for a few days - weeks)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is really cute!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new bird, he’s adorable!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
By the way, the reason I think he’s probably 11 months or older is because he has his full yellow face. However , I could be wrong and maybe he was a very early molter! He could be at youngest 8-9 months .

Shelli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly
He looks like an adult male pearled to me, but if that is true, with his coloring I would guess at least a year old?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He might be a pearl or split pearl... would need to see base of tail feathers to be sure.

Definitely an "older" bird. As mentioned, he could be 6+ months old, or he could be older.

As for taming, perhaps you'll get some ideas from here. :)

22mcgek

Real Name
Kylin
By the way, the reason I think he’s probably 11 months or older is because he has his full yellow face. However , I could be wrong and maybe he was a very early molter! He could be at youngest 8-9 months .
I called the pet store and they told me he was about a year old, so you were pretty spot on!! Thanks for the help!!

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
This bird is either a normal grey or a pearl male that has moltedI can't tell which, but normal grey is most likely.