• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Chop

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Hello everyone! Recently, Prince has started to eat his sprouts, so Ive decided to offer some chop along with it. This would be my first time making it, so I want to make sure I get it right. The ingredients I’ve chosen so far are as follows: broccoli, lettuce, kale, carrots, sweet potatoes, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, peas, soybeans, chicks peas, lentils, brown rice, whole wheat bread, and quinoa seeds. How does it look? Anything I should add or subtract? Any and all help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Which lettuce is this? Avoid iceberg and go for romaine or baby gem.
Sweet potatoes must be cooked.
Avoid the green part of the tomato.

Maybe you already knew all that, but just in case :)

I like to follow this as a guide: My Chop "Recipe"

Edit; Sorry, I just noticed you say whole wheat bread, I personally wouldn´t put that in. I am not very familiar with soy beans either, so hopefully someone else can comment on those.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Don’t worry I was planing on using Romaine lettuce. I’ll also avoid soybeans and bread.ill check out the chop recipe. Does all the other ingredients look good?

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
And I’m probably going to introduce each new food separately to see what he likes.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
And I’m probably going to introduce each new food separately to see what he likes.
Quinoa needs to be cooked. As for the wheat bread, nix that. I wouldn't do soybeans, you can do other legumes such a bean sprouts, or ones already sprouted you can cook.

Spelt, amaranth are also good grains. Dark leafy greens are best. Tomatoes are not something I would use. Just stick to a few good things. Peppers that are red, yellow are also good.

Sounds like you will be fine once you see what they like or dislike.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
I’m going to follow that guide that @Zara posted above, and I’ll peppers, amaranth, and spelt. I’ll also remove tomatoes and the bread. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to post.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The lentils need to be cooked or sprouted. I sprout.
Maybe try out pumpkin too ?

I like to sprinkle the veggies with a little millet to peak interest , especially if there´a new veggie on offer. I also feed this between morning and noon.

Good luck :)

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My most recent chop recipe I made for my tiels :
  • Cooked lentils
  • Cooked quinoa
  • Broccoli
  • Carrots
  • Salad leaf mix
  • Bok choy
  • Basil
  • Hemp seeds
  • Linseed
Whatever I have lying around goes in too. Last week they had some chilli peppers to spice things up. I occasionally add sprouted seeds when I have some, and last week they enjoyed some salad cress I bought.

The mix I made before this was slightly more basic. That way I could add new things and experiment week by week. The day I put cinnamon in, boy was I in trouble! :angry:

That's why starting out with less is a good idea, you can build it up depending on their preferences. :)

Last edited: