• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

cockatiel choking on medicine???

Status
Not open for further replies.

44chicken

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shayna
Tika my teil was seen today for sneezing. she is on antibiotics which i am to give orally. I just gave her some and she of course shook her head afterwards as it tastes horrid now she has bad nasal gurgling and is sneezing a lot...she has some stuck up her nose I think? What can i do to help get it out?
shayna

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Going to get someone.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
It sounds like you aspirated her. you might want to go to a vet. My vet always gave a shot of a multivitamin that contained Vitamin A.

If you can see any fluid in the nares/nostrils you can take a syringe and put it flush to the hole and try to suck it out.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Did the vet show you how to give the meds? As far as the sneezing you are not going to be able to do much to help. You might try turning on you shower to full hot water and make a steamy bathroom and then take the bird in the steam for a few minutes. This will help if you don't stress the bird out. How is your bird acting now?

44chicken

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shayna
i cant get in contact with my vet and i have no way of getting anywhere...any other suggestions

44chicken

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shayna
less sneezing but wheezy and sad looking shaking her head

she's nuzzling me tho so maybe she will be ok
I am going to bring her in the shower and we will see I have put a tissue over her nose and tipped her a bit backwards and a bit came out onto the tissue

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending positive healing energy.:hug8:

44chicken

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shayna
i was shown yes..under the tongue and be careful of the nasal passage and slowly.. she was all good untill she shook her head
off to shower for a few
ill be back thanks

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
:( Hope the shower helps..:hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shayna, it is tough giving medication to birds, especially the bad tasting kind. So sorry this is happening to your little Tika. :hug8:

44chicken

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shayna
We are ok now I think
she loved the hot steam...not sure I loved crawling to the bathroom with a blown disk in my back and trying to sit in the scalding shower..must have been a sight! She sneezed a big couple of sneezes and we are back to beak grinding and happy noises. Ya...like Im gonna sleep at ALL tonite! off to read the article posted...thanks for helping! nice to have contact with ANYONE during an emergency!
SHayna and Tika:hug8::omg::hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great to hear Shayna, wishing you both a really good sleep. :)

44chicken

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shayna
not a sneeze since the shower...read the article and i think i need to go slower
ill be back tomorrow! thanks so much for being here!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Kari does that just about every darn time. Dr. Orosz has me put their meds on a tropical nutriberry and says if they eat most of it, your good to go. I'm able to medicate all the tiels this way. But yes go very slowly and the napkin dabbing on the nose was a good idea.

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I've never heard of dosing some food! I have two tiels on ridzol right now, will ask vet if it's ok.

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
When you give the meds just push out a drop at a time in the lower beak....hold the beak gently to make sure the meds are swallowed. Dont hurry take your time

Status
Not open for further replies.