• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel Chicks help!

Mykaler

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Marcella
Hi!
I am a first time cockatiel chick parent, and so are my cockatiels. I did not want them to breed, but no matter how much I changed their routine to discourage egg-laying and mating, they still ended up with a clutch. (Will separate female and male after this.) Three eggs were laid, three eggs hatched. Mom abandoned babies and dad took over completely. One chick suddenly died this morning. He was the strongest and most active so (relative to his age cause he was the last to hatch, he was 3 days old)

Both remaining chicks are 4 days old. The issues I have are:
1. I live in El Salvador and there is no such thing as an avian vet, bird formula, brooders, heat lamps, incubators etc in this country.
2. We are in strict quarantine and the things I can get are limited.
3. Cockatiel dad seems to be overfeeding, the chicks crops are really big, so much you can see their food from the back of their head. (Might be normal, since the chicks do raise their heads and cry for food)
4. today, I found chick #1 with what seems like a burst blood vessel on his head, and its bruised a small area.
5. I don't have a second cage to separate the mom and the dad, and the mom has been desperate to get in the box and bite the babies, which distracts the dad and makes him get up and attack so she leaves.
6. I wanted to pull the chicks, but the only thing I have to serve as a brooder is a 10-gallon fishtank, a 40w and a 60w lightbulb, and I read this is very harmful for the chicks.
7. Chick #2’s crop was a little hard today so I gave him some warm Pedialyte and it seemed to work.

How can I give them their best shot at life?

• Sad
Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Marcella,

so much you can see their food from the back of their head. (Might be normal, since the chicks do raise their heads and cry for food)
Can you post a picture?

You really need to find a cage from somewhere to remove your hen if she is attacking. Maybe someone who lives closeby has a spare one?

As for the brooder, can you get a heat pad from somewhere? And do you have aspen shavings?
I use a little turtle tank, it´s very small (inadequate for any turtle to live in), could you find one of those? (I will insert a picture)

Screenshot_20200518_132628.jpg
Then fill it with 4 inches of the shavings and sit it so half is on the heat pad,
Screenshot_20200518_132640.jpg

Here is a good source of information Breeding Cockatiels, candled eggs, assisted hatches, how to make a brooder, how to handfeed baby birds, baby bird feeding schedule, baby bird weight gain chart, weaning baby birds, how to wean baby birds.

I did not want them to breed, but no matter how much I changed their routine to discourage egg-laying and mating, they still ended up with a clutch. (Will separate female and male after this.)
In the future, you can take the eggs when they are layed and boil them, allow them to cool down, then put them back. This way your pair can still live together without more chicks. Don´t give them a nestbox.

Last edited:

Mykaler

Real Name
Marcella
Hello Marcella,

Can you post a picture?

You really need to find a cage from somewhere to remove your hen if she is attacking. Maybe someone who lives closeby has a spare one?

As for the brooder, can you get a heat pad from somewhere? And do you have aspen shavings?
I use a little turtle tank, it´s very small (inadequate for any turtle to live in), could you find one of those? (I will insert a picture)

View attachment 338876
Then fill it with 4 inches of the shavings and sit it so half is on the heat pad,
View attachment 338875

Here is a good source of information Breeding Cockatiels, candled eggs, assisted hatches, how to make a brooder, how to handfeed baby birds, baby bird feeding schedule, baby bird weight gain chart, weaning baby birds, how to wean baby birds.

In the future, you can take the eggs when they are layed and boil them, allow them to cool down, then put them back. This way your pair can still live together without more chicks. Don´t give them a nestbox.
I got a cage. Ill separate them right now. I left the chicks in the nest box last night and they are looking pretty good this morning.

As for heating pads, the quarantine over here is really strict, and we can only go out on certain days depending on our identification number. My next free day is on Wednesday. For now ive decided to take out the nest box itself from the cage and keep it in a closed room since the dad doesnt go out of it and seems pretty relaxed when its out of the cage. And that way, I can check on the chicks often without disrupting too much.

the bruise in chick #1’s head has faded since last night

Attachments

Mykaler

Real Name
Marcella
Im bumping this up...

I get paranoid easily with this sort of thing, and I constantly dread opening my babies’ nest box in fear ill find a dead chick. I would appreciate some help, please

As for updates, the bruise is still there on chick #1. He is very small and stunted. He hasnt put on any weight since day 3, and is now half the size of his brother. Another curious and sad thing I found is that he has a black spot on his tail, as if he had a small wound and is now a spot of necrosis. Though I never saw a wound and I check him multiple times daily. His body skin is reddish, and his wing and head skin is pale (hes a lutino, if that has anything to do with his color right now). He's weak and not getting well fed so I top off his feedings with some homemade “formula” which is the best thing I have access to: baby grain cereal, applesauce, pedialyte and peanut butter.

Chick #2 is now big, eyes have began opening, melanin is stating to settle.

Both are 9 days old.

id appreciate any piece of advice! :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Did you manage to get a hold of a brooder (the box and heat pad) and shavings?

Can you get hold of a real parrot chick formula from somewhere?

These are the two things that your birds need to stay alive, nutrition and heat.

@Mockinbirdiva @Monica @melissasparrots Any ideas for a homemade formula better than the one OP is using?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Here's one vet I've found - see if you can call and ask for help

Paola Tinetti
Residencial San Luis, Avenida Izalco, Block 2, cas
Block 2, Casa #17
San Salvador, El Salvador

Phone 22084619

Likewise, if you have any local groups (Facebook, ads, whatever), try posting to these groups looking for a breeder who can help you through this. Perhaps someone is nearby and can help you get food for the chicks?

Mykaler

Real Name
Marcella

Paola Tinetti
Block 2, Casa #17

Phone 22084619

Likewise, if you have any local groups (Facebook, ads, whatever), try posting to these groups looking for a breeder who can help you through this. Perhaps someone is nearby and can help you get food for the chicks?
wow, thank you. Ill check with them as soon as possible.

Mykaler

Real Name
Marcella
Baby #1 died in my hands tonight. He was getting skinnier and skinnier, but looked and acted strong. A few minutes ago I was getting his formula ready, I took his nest box out and he looked pretty normal, head up and everything. When I came back I took him out for feeding and noticed he was breathing very hard, with his mouth open. His whole little body moved as he breathed. Soon after he laid on his side and a few minutes later gave his last little breath.

baby #2 is 11 days old today. He is about the size of a 7/8 day old but very strong and vocal. More melanin is coming in and tiny little pin feathers are starting to poke out. One of his eyes has opened just a little and the other is still closed.

Apollo (dad) is spending too much time outside lately, leaving the chick alone, so i think ill fully pull him out tomorrow and keep him in a heating pad aquarium brooder.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So sorry to hear of the little one passing. :( I hope you are able to find some help locally!

Mykaler

Real Name
Marcella

Paola Tinetti
Block 2, Casa #17

Phone 22084619

this vet is no longer in business...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Its too full... if the crop is overfilled, they may have trouble digesting the food as it ends up sitting in the crop rather than going through the digestive system.