• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel chick

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
Hi I weigh him again this morning and he's 617g .... so my baby isn't 6-7 weeks.? .. I feed him at 8am and I wait for his crop to empty out before feeding him.... I don't know.. for his second feeding... his crop takes a few hours to empty...
His crop doesnt really have do empty completely after every feed, the recomended is to have it empty at least once every 24h, which usually is making sure his crop empties after his night feed/before his morning feed.
It is good to stick to a schedule, with my tiel i would feed him four times a day the same time every day (i'm not sure about maccaws tho), the only time i would change his feed time would be if his crop wasnt empty in the morning, otherwise, he would eat at the same time as usual, even if his crop isnt completly empty, but of course you dont want to feed him if his crop is too full, as it can result in yeast infection, but a little of food shouldnt do any harm.

Oh well, i guess anything to do with baby parrots is a bit delicate, the room cant be cold but not too warm either, the food has to be hot but not too much, before feeding the crop dont need to empty completly but cant be too full, they cant be too skinny but neither too fat... :lol: they are delicate and can be hard to take care of but for sure fill our life with joy

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
Big question here Anna. Did your breeder tell you how much to feed your baby (Arian?) at each feeding? We’re you shown how to do the feeding and even watched doing a feeding or two before bringing your baby home?

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
Big question here Anna. Did your breeder tell you how much to feed your baby (Arian?) at each feeding? We’re you shown how to do the feeding and even watched doing a feeding or two before bringing your baby home?
Well... i'm not the OP but yes the breeder did tell me how much to feed, however, the conditions when i got him werent the best ones and i definetly wouldnt recomend anyone getting a baby the same way i did.
The breeder was a family friend that dont work with breeding and gave me Aruan as a gift, i miself havent had any parrot before and didnt have any experience with baby parrot either (please guys, dont buy unweaned babys if you dont have previous parrot experienced and cant have your breeder close to help you), and as the tiel dad was starting to hurt the baby i had to get him when he was two weeks old, yes, i know, way too young. He also didnt show me how to hand feed, he only described me how to do it, so i had to learn it in the internet, luckly nothing went wrong, but this wasnt the best of ideas, again, i dont recomend anyone geting a tiel in the same conditions i did.

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
Alrrighty then, back to square one.

During each feed, how messy is it? in one of the first photos it looks like there is food up my it’s nares, is it or is that just shadow?

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
Well... i'm not the OP but yes the breeder did tell me how much to feed, however, the conditions when i got him werent the best ones and i definetly wouldnt recomend anyone getting a baby the same way i did.
The breeder was a family friend that dont work with breeding and gave me Aruan as a gift, i miself havent had any parrot before and didnt have any experience with baby parrot either (please guys, dont buy unweaned babys if you dont have previous parrot experienced and cant have your breeder close to help you), and as the tiel dad was starting to hurt the baby i had to get him when he was two weeks old, yes, i know, way too young. He also didnt show me how to hand feed, he only described me how to do it, so i had to learn it in the internet, luckly nothing went wrong, but this wasnt the best of ideas, again, i dont recomend anyone geting a tiel in the same conditions i did.
how much were you told to feed your two week old tiel at each feeding?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thread created for you to discuss the cockatiel chick without causing confusion for the owner of the macaw chick :)

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
Alrrighty then, back to square one.

During each feed, how messy is it? in one of the first photos it looks like there is food up my it’s nares, is it or is that just shadow?
I,m sorry sweety i dont know what picture you are talking about

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
I,m sorry sweety i dont know what picture you are talking about
actually, I think I may have gotten two different posters/conversations mixed up. Sorry about that.