• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel changed - is he just growing?

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hello all!
so my little guy is now 16 weeks old the past two days his behaviour has changed suddenly; he’s stopped talking (he would talk ALOT) and he’s started biting and chewing things more, including my fingers and everything in his cage. He used to never bite me and is a very cuddly, affectionate bird.
He keeps stretching and flapping his wings often and standing on one foot.

I did take him to the vet as I needed to worm him anyway but also to make sure he’s okay since he is my first bird I don’t know the age stages fully yet. She said he is healthy and he’s eating, since he is scratching she treated him for mites for the safe side. So within 48 hours I’ll see if it makes a difference, if not!

I just mainly want to know if your teenage cockatiels display this behaviour and if it’s normal? Do they talk less during this stage and get nippy

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
He’s also not balancing as good as he used to? He can perch fine, it’s just clumsy like he slips and has to catch himself quickly to rebalance

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Baby tiels tend to be clumsy and your tiel is still a baby. However, if he's lethargic, seems sluggish, is puffed up, droppings abnormal etc or seems a lot clumsier than normal I would contact a vet. Do you live in the U.S.? Typically indoor birds in the U.S. do not need to be wormed and I was always told that parrots should only be treated for mites if they definitely have mites.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How long after going to the vet's did he start acting this way?

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
How long after going to the vet's did he start acting this way?
For 2 days, that’s why I took him. My mistake I didn’t mean to say he was treated for mites, only worming. She mentioned it could be but highly unlikely since he’s an indoor pet.
His droppings and eating habits are all normal, it’s only the things I mentioned! Haha yes they are clumsy, it’s only cause he started being MUCH more clumsy within those last two days so I’m not sure if I should be worried

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Another update: I don’t think it is him being clumsy, he definitely wasn’t like this two days ago. He seems to be getting weaker, he can still perch but keeps tripping. He also isn’t flying on top of his cage like usual or climbing up things.

the main bird vet isn’t back for another week (the one I saw only knew the basics)
Any advice what to do in the meanwhile would be great

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What medicine did they give him for worms as it might be the cause as its just after the vet visit.

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
What medicine did they give him for worms as it might be the cause as its just after the vet visit.
I’m not sure the specific one, just normal worming in his mouth? I don’t think it is from his time at the vet as he usually doesn’t mind it and acts normal afterwards

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would try to find another vet you can bring him to now because his symptoms seem serious. I hope he’ll be okay!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree to find another vet asap if the symptoms are progressing and he's acting lethargic and getting weaker he needs medical assistance.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Was the vet you saw an avian vet? Did your bird actually have worms?
I would call and ask the vet you saw if they can tell you exactly what they gave for worming (name of treatment and dosage) and double check about the treatment for mites and any other treatments they may have administered- you said he WAS treated for mites just to be on the safe because he was scratching... I am not sure an avian vet would treat for worms or treat for mites unless they were actually there- these things can be harder on birds than they seem to be on dogs and cats.
If he was treated for worms and happens to have an infestation then I know if they are bad in dogs and cats it can make them feel sickly and miserable as all the worms are dying off and have yet to be passed.