• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel can now fly, how to help her learn how to properly?

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Hi! My young Tiel suddenly decided she could fly today. (Two new flight feathers have been growing in, her other wing is unclipped) and I want to keep her unclipped. I realised I've been really lax in her training, and I need to start doing it before something unforeseen happens. I'm keeping all my windows and doors shut, along with keeping the ceiling fans off (just like before she could fly).

Now I just need tips on how to train her how to fly properly so she doesn't end up as a fully flighted bird unable to keep herself from flying into walls and other stuff. Thank you!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She will need no training to figure out her feathers. Time will grow the rest of the chopped ones out and new feathers will grow in. It may take months, so be patient.

What you need to train is recall. But she needs all her feathers for that. Wait until she’s working with a full set.

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
Birds usually dont need a lot of help to learn how to fly, my baby learned to fly really well by himsef, however, flight training can be good, pet birds usually arent as good in flying because they dont face as many situations as they would in the wild, everything is pretty monotonous in a house yk.

The youtuber Flocktalk has made quite some videos on flight training (both for cliped and uncliped birds) and her videos had helped me a lot with my tiel, i would for sure recomend you watching them.
Anyways, start with recall training and stationing (flock talk has a video in it as well), its not that hard, my tiel learned that without me training him, and even clipped birds can do that in short distances.

This stage of when birds are learning to fly is super fun, both for them, that are discovering their body, and for us, who get to see them getting beter every day, enjoy this stage while you can, i still miss my lil baby as a actual baby, seing his first steps, first chirps and first flights is magical and something i will never forget :xflove: