• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Cockatiel can’t fly and I’m not sure why

MufasaBirb

Checking out the neighborhood
I’ve had my female cockatiel, Mufasa, for at least 4-5 years now, but she’s never flown once. When I got her, she’d just come to me from a home where she was kept in a cage with two other mean cockatiels who often attacked her. As a result, the tips of 2 of her toes are missing (she’s able to walk and grip things just fine). I’ve clipped her flight feathers only once over the entire 4-5 years I’ve had her, and she’s never had injuries while under my care. She can flap her wings just fine and will make an attempt soften her landing while falling by flapping her wings, but it doesn’t really help. While on the ground, she will attempt to fly when running from my siblings by jumping and flapping her wings, but this also doesn’t work. I’m not sure if her wings were injured before she was given to me or if she just truly cannot fly. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated

Attachments

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
She never learned to fly as a fledging. My Rose Breasted Cockatoo was never fledged properly as a young bird , she didn't know how to fly even though she was fully flighted.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I’ve had my female cockatiel, Mufasa, for at least 4-5 years now, but she’s never flown once. When I got her, she’d just come to me from a home where she was kept in a cage with two other mean cockatiels who often attacked her. As a result, the tips of 2 of her toes are missing (she’s able to walk and grip things just fine). I’ve clipped her flight feathers only once over the entire 4-5 years I’ve had her, and she’s never had injuries while under my care. She can flap her wings just fine and will make an attempt soften her landing while falling by flapping her wings, but it doesn’t really help. While on the ground, she will attempt to fly when running from my siblings by jumping and flapping her wings, but this also doesn’t work. I’m not sure if her wings were injured before she was given to me or if she just truly cannot fly. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated
She may have never learned to fly as a fledging.
How long ago did you clip her feathers, are all her feathers grown in?

My Rose Breasted Cockatoo was never fledged properly as a young bird , she didn't know how to fly even though she was fully flighted.

If she allows you to have her step-up on your hand try letting her perch on your index finger while gently holding her toes with your thumb , slowly and gently raise your hand up and down to get her to flap her wings, this may take a few times to catch on what you want her to do &feel safe doing , don't force her if she get scared. Flapping her wings will build muscle and strength, being sedentary all her life is why her muscles have atrophy. Give her lots of praise when she starts flapping those wings !

Cloud

Strolling the yard
Can you make her hop on your hand by baiting with her favorite treats and increase the distance over time?
Adorable cockatiel by the way!!!:xflove:

MufasaBirb

Checking out the neighborhood
She may have never learned to fly as a fledging.
How long ago did you clip her feathers, are all her feathers grown in?

My Rose Breasted Cockatoo was never fledged properly as a young bird , she didn't know how to fly even though she was fully flighted.

If she allows you to have her step-up on your hand try letting her perch on your index finger while gently holding her toes with your thumb , slowly and gently raise your hand up and down to get her to flap her wings, this may take a few times to catch on what you want her to do &feel safe doing , don't force her if she get scared. Flapping her wings will build muscle and strength, being sedentary all her life is why her muscles have atrophy. Give her lots of praise when she starts flapping those wings !
I clipped her feathers maybe a week after she was given to me. I had assumed she’d know how to fly, so I clipped them just in case. I’ll be sure to try what you’ve suggested! Thank you

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Either she has an injury or she has muscle atrophy. A vet could confirm either way.

It might be possible to get her flying again but it would help to target train her and teach her to hop short distances and increasing the distance so she has to flap her wings. Don't set her up for failure though! Only success! If you ask too much too soon, go back to a step she can achieve! This will help to build confidence.