• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel + Budgie.....anyone have this combo?

pegwillen

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
D.
Hello....my 3yo male budgie just lost his companion (parrotlet), and of course, there has been a bit of a behavior change. He is spending a lot more time by choice in his cage. He and my pionus have cages next to each other, but they seem fairly neutral towards each other, e.g. they look at each other, occasionally hop on/off each other's cage, but otherwise don't interact. My pi is very mellow, and more of a perch potato. I'm considering a cockatiel to join him and share a large flight cage, but again, the cages or open most of the day. I'm also considering another budgie if I can find a hand tame rehome/adoptee. Does anyone here have experience with such an arrangement? I would be rehoming/adopting, not buying from a breeder. Thanks for any input.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Wouldn't do it..budgies are way too feisty and high energy for tiels. I used to have that combo and it was a mess, no one was happy and everyone was stressed. :(

pegwillen

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
D.
Thanks....My parrotlet was quite 'assertive', and I'm wondering if my budgie's now more 'settled' behaviors are just rest/recovery mode for him. These wonderful creatures sure get under your skin!

Wouldn't do it..budgies are way too feisty and high energy for tiels. I used to have that combo and it was a mess, no one was happy and everyone was stressed. :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
nope, not a good idea..tiels are way to mellow for budgies or partottlets...and despite their size a little budgie can seriously harm a tiel..not a good idea to house together..

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
While I had a more positive experience with my budgies and tiels, I still wouldn't chance it, not in the same cage, anyway.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
As has been said before, it's probably not a good idea housing them together. I have 3 budgies and 4 tiels. The budgies are most definitely bullies.They stay in their cage most of the time,and the tiels are out of cages most of the time. The tiels know NOT to land on the budgie's cage at any time. IF a tiel does stray onto the budgie's cage, the budgies will go on "toe patrol" to drive the offender off the cage.
How about getting another budgie to keep your little one company? It'd would be a better match than a tiel, and I bet there are plenty of budgies in your area in need of a good home...:)

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Why not get another budgie? That will give them the best chance possible of bonding if you are getting a bird specifically to be his friend.

Tiels tend to get bullied by a lot of birds really, they are pretty easygoing so most everything is more spunky than they are. (But I have no first-hand experience.)

Edit: Posted at the same time as Bob.

Last edited:

pegwillen

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
D.
Yes, getting another budgie is on the table, and I'm inquiring with shelters/rescues in Maine that have budgies (petfinder.com), specifically needs to be hand tame however, since I interact with my birds daily. But I must say, that today, as I observe my pi and keet together, they may be bonding.

As has been said before, it's probably not a good idea housing them together. I have 3 budgies and 4 tiels. The budgies are most definitely bullies.They stay in their cage most of the time,and the tiels are out of cages most of the time. The tiels know NOT to land on the budgie's cage at any time. IF a tiel does stray onto the budgie's cage, the budgies will go on "toe patrol" to drive the offender off the cage.
How about getting another budgie to keep your little one company? It'd would be a better match than a tiel, and I bet there are plenty of budgies in your area in need of a good home...:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He would probably find it more comforting to have a same species in the same cage as him. All the best!

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
While Kushi does not prefer the company of Loki, she does quite well with Mugen, my calmer budgie. They can be put in the same carrier, and stay out of each other's space. Then again, all the cages I have are flight cages, even if it's just for one cockatiel, so territory isnt much of an issue. Hes a sweetheart and not nearly as high strung as Loki and Bean are, but they all prefer thier own space. They play happily on stands with minimal issue save for Kushi hogging the food bowl from time to time, but the odd thing is Loki adores the company of my roomates Sun Conure. Of course they are always, always closely watched, but that conure just sits there and lets Loki preen and whistle at him. The conure is a very laid back boy. You never know what two birds will get along, as they are all individuals, but its best to have a foster sort of situation before introducing any bird as a permanent roomie, and it may be best to focus on a hand tame budgie, or one that is open to human interaction.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I have done it and my Mum currently has Budgies and Tiels together in a large aviary. But I never suggest it to anyone.

RoxieTheRocker

Checking out the neighborhood
They will fight, possibly the budgie dead. I would not take the chance.;)

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Frisco, my tiel who is now in his late twenties, spent most of his life with a succession of budgie friends (one at a time). However, they were either cage free in a room of their own or in a large flight cage. (When his first budgie friend died, I had asked his avian vet whether I should get another budgie or a tiel as a companion, and he said that since Frisco was used to a budgie, to get another budgie.) It always worked out well, but when his most recent budgie companion died, five years ago, I asked the rescue, and they suggested a tiel. That worked out even better - Frisco found true love, late in life.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't try to mix the two species unless I was prepared to set up and keep two separate little flocks.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Agree with others, your best chance is another budgie.

I must also warn you about the dangers of your current budgie and pi mingling. That could be very dangerous and even with close supervision it only takes a split second for the pi to get annoyed and do some serious damage before you can intervene. I wouldn't risk that either.

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
Caged together no way. My girl budgie is mean but loose in the room sometimes....with supervision they all go ok. I've never seen Pips take after one of the tiels but that's not saying she won't. My boy budgie Chirp is a sweetheart

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I would definitely suggest another budgie friend for him rather than a tiel. There's a better chance of two budgies getting along than a budgie and a tiel. It's possible for a budgie and tiel to be friends, but depends on the individual birds and certainly isn't guaranteed. That said, my budgie Junior was best friends with Sparky, my cockatiel. They were friends for years until Sparky passed away last September. After Sparky passed away, Junior turned to us for companionship and has become more people friendly.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey