• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel breeder?

Ambilobe

Sitting on the front steps
Was thinking about getting a cockatiel. Anybody know a good breeder in the Edmonton area? Not looking for anything fancy, just a hand tame, healthy young bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are there any rescues near you? There are usually a lot of cockatiels at bird rescues in need of good homes.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Not sure, looking for a young, hand raised bird.
Any particular reason it has to be youngand from a breeder, rather thana rescue. Cockatiels seem to be the most common bird to end up in rescues.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
I agree with the rest. You don't need to get a hand raised baby to be nice and friendly. Not all birds in rescues are aggressive or have behavior issues. Some just had to be surrendered to the rescue bc their owners were moving. If you can't get to a rescue then breeder would be the next best option. I wouldn't recommend getting birds from chain pet stores.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Edmonton! Meika's Birdhouse is the place to go. I know you asked about a breeder not a rescue, but please check it out. It's a wonderful place, great people, so many beautiful birds and often they have young, tame ones too. Even if you don't end up adopting from there, it's the place for any bird-related needs or even just to meet some different species of birds. I highly recommend. :) Their website has undergone a makeover recently I think, and doesn't seem to have many cockatiels on it right now but I would ask anyway; last time I was there they had many.

My Tiel I got off of Kijiji; she's eleven and completely handtame. She's been the easiest bird to befriend and we had a very close bond after only a couple of months. As a mature bird she has lots of experience with people; she's very steady and doesn't go through the drastic behaviour changes that young birds do.

Ambilobe

Edmonton! Meika's Birdhouse is the place to go. I know you asked about a breeder not a rescue, but please check it out. It's a wonderful place, great people, so many beautiful birds and often they have young, tame ones too. Even if you don't end up adopting from there, it's the place for any bird-related needs or even just to meet some different species of birds. I highly recommend. :) Their website has undergone a makeover recently I think, and doesn't seem to have many cockatiels on it right now but I would ask anyway; last time I was there they had many.

My Tiel I got off of Kijiji; she's eleven and completely handtame. She's been the easiest bird to befriend and we had a very close bond after only a couple of months. As a mature bird she has lots of experience with people; she's very steady and doesn't go through the drastic behaviour changes that young birds do.
Kijiji doesn’t have any young, healthy looking birds rn, and meika’s only has one, senior tiel. This is why I’m looking for a breeder.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Like I said, I'd be very surprised if they really only have the one Tiel; could just be the website. When I was in they had nearly too many to count, of every age, mutation, personality, etc. I do know they have more birds than what's on the website at the moment. Worth an ask or an in-store visit at least.

Kijiji doesn’t have any young, healthy looking birds rn
OK, but you're limiting it to young ones - are you positive that a young Tiel is the only kind you'd consider? Have you thought about that enough; if you're ready to deal with the ups and downs, sometimes permanent downs, that come with raising a baby into adulthood? Many of the people here have been through that and swear they'd never take a baby again... Mine was eleven when I got her, and strangely she's still a wonderful bird and she's settled in here like she's never lived anywhere else. Selfishly, I'd go for an adult again - it was a lot easier for me and so rewarding.

Ambilobe

Like I said, I'd be very surprised if they really only have the one Tiel; could just be the website. When I was in they had nearly too many to count, of every age, mutation, personality, etc. I do know they have more birds than what's on the website at the moment. Worth an ask or an in-store visit at least.

OK, but you're limiting it to young ones - are you positive that a young Tiel is the only kind you'd consider? Have you thought about that enough; if you're ready to deal with the ups and downs, sometimes permanent downs, that come with raising a baby into adulthood? Many of the people here have been through that and swear they'd never take a baby again... Mine was eleven when I got her, and strangely she's still a wonderful bird and she's settled in here like she's never lived anywhere else. Selfishly, I'd go for an adult again - it was a lot easier for me and so rewarding.
I’m looking for a young one, because I think it would be rewarding, and there’s always a chance an older bird from a traumatic past might never settle in.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have a read of this thread: Baby to adult. Will they still love me?

There's no guarantee that a baby will stay attached for you for its entire life. In the wild, young adult parrots would leave their parents and seek out friends and potential mates. In captivity, young adult parrots often (but not always) wish to put distance between themselves and the human they see as their parent. Your cute baby may want nothing to do with you when they grow up. They might decide that they adore someone else in your household and ignore you. It's not always predictable.

Adolesence can be extremely hard on captive parrots as they navigate hormones and changing relationships. Older parrots who have been through puberty are often steadier and you have a better sense of their personality - a calm, friendly older bird is likely to remain so. There are many people on this forum who have adopted older tiels and found them to be wonderful, loyal companions - @sunnysmom, @Khizz and @enigma731 to name just a few.

Lots of birds lose their home through no fault of their own: a child loses interest, their family has to move into accommodation that doesn't allow pets, someone gets a new job and has no time for their bird. I would say most birds in rescues are there because of reasons like these, not because they were abused. A good rescue will know the background of their birds and will match you with a bird they think you'll get on with. If you don't feel equipped to give a traumatised bird a home, they'll understand. Remember, it's in their interest for everyone (both birds and humans) to be happy. I don't have any rescue birds but my family does have rescue dogs, and it's just as rewarding to watch an older animal flourish under your care and love as it is to raise a baby. It's different, but still incredibly special.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I’m looking for a young one, because I think it would be rewarding, and there’s always a chance an older bird from a traumatic past might never settle in.
All of my tiels have been senior adopted tiels and they have been wonderful. Two of them simply outlived their owners. The best bird for you really is the bird that picks you. Tiels will if given the chance. Maybe see if you can go to the suggested rescue and meet some tiels. You might be surprised.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't know if I've ever heard of an older bird with a traumatic past never settling in - I think once they realize they are in a safe place where nothing is going to be forced on them or expected of them they come out of their shell more than ever. I get, though, how you feel about babies; I did too. But I found taking an older bird who much less people would have been interested in and who might never have found a kind, safe home simply because of her age, was loads more rewarding. Everyone wants the babies, in any animal - cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. But babies grow up into adults too, and that stage can be rough in any animal. Even dogs, though in a much different way since they don't go through hormones the same way; puppy stage is hard work.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I think a rescue would be more rewarding than getting a bird from a breeder, and leaving a lonely bird in need at a rescue. I have considered rescues loads of times, and have even applied for a few birds. Sadly, we haven't had any luck yet, but my preference would be to get an older bird in need of a home (like my parrotlets, finches, red rump parakeets and linnie were) than getting from a breeder.

Just my two cents

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lemon is very cute!

Take her lead when it comes to interaction. She may want a couple of days to settle in, or she may be interested in you immediately. Everytime you pass her cage, drop a little treat into her bowl - perhaps a sunflower seed, little bit of almond or walnut, a nutriberry or something similar. You'll learn what she likes.

You can also sit by her cage and gently talk to her, or read a book out loud. Try not to stare at her face-on because that tends to freak birds out - it reminds them of the very interested look a predator would give. Instead, try to glance out of the corner of your eye. Parrots stick their tongue out at things that they're interested in (and will try to lick everything) so you can try looking at her from side-on, sticking out your tongue and giving it a wiggle. You will look ridiculous but it really does seem to work.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know from experience a hand tamed bird as you call it will be no better than one that was not. Just a word of caution about expectations. If they are reasonable you will be ok. Many people get disappointed and the bird ends up with the short stick. Good luck with Lemon if you choose her.