• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel bleeding

Tati

Sitting on the front steps
Hello, all members.
Came here for advice and knowledge based on experience.
I have 3 cockatiels.
2 of them are my “ old babies” .
My oldest, Charlie is 18. His “ son”, Freckles is 15. He was born in the palm of my hand, literally out of the egg.
My female cockatiel is relatively new- she is only 3 years old- I bought her from a private pet store.
She is bleeding from her vent. The blood is bright red. Some droppings mixed with feces.
This is 4 th time it’s happening to her in last 2 years.
Can anyone surmise what the reason may be?
No, she is Not egg- bound. I personally checked.
this happens every 3-4 months.
First time it happened I took her to emergency avian vet in Manhattan-$1,500 later they could not tell me what was wrong with her!
Next day- her poops were absolutely fine!

it just happened again.30 min ago.
I don’t know what to do
Any advice or insight- please?

kind regards to all,
Tatiana

Tati

Just to clarify: I bought her 2 years ago.
And this exact situation ( bleeding from vent) happens every 4-5 months.
And every time- next day - she is fine.
And even While it’s happening, she acts perfectly normal-
She goes around biting and picking on the other 2 old males I have- stealing their food, and bossing them around- like her normal self! Like nothing is wrong!

I am literally, dumbfounded!
The amount of blood she is losing , she should be at the bottom of her cage, fatigued!

Tati

Hello, all members.
I have 3 cockatiels.
My oldest, Charlie is 18. His “ son”, Freckles is 15. He was born in the palm of my hand, literally out of the egg.
My female cockatiel is relatively new- she is only 3 years old- I bought her from a private pet store 2 years ago.
She is bleeding from her vent. The blood is bright red. Some droppings mixed with feces.
First time it happened I took her to emergency avian vet in Manhattan-$1,500 later they could not tell me what was wrong with her!
I know for a fact she is not egg- bound.
I had a female cockatiel, Ash, who was Charlie’s “ wife” for over 13 years.
she passed. And I bought this one 2 years ago. Because Charlie stopped eating after death of Ash.

I don’t know what to do

kind regards to all,
Tatiana

Tati

Hello, all members.
I have 3 cockatiels.
My female cockatiel is relatively new- she is only 3 years old- I bought her from a private pet store.

I don’t know what to do

kind regards to all,
Tatiana

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It still could be a reproductive issue, or not,,lower GI bleeding is red, Upper GI bleeding is black...she may have ovarian or other issues,,, did she eat any sharp cuttlebone pieces? Does have access to wooden toys she may have invested? My pigeon, does this a couple time a year, she will poo a huge bloody mess, it freaked me out! Took her in, vet gave her meds, and told me to watch her, itll be a mess with her for the first day, then back to normal..Without extensive tests, they wont know, I chose not to do that to her..I just deal with it, she seems fine otherwise...only you know her, but I would watch her.. they are little turds aren't they? Like to scare us all the time..let us know, hope she will be ok.

Tati

Thank you so much for taking your time to help me.
No I do not feed them cuttle bone- for exactly the reason you mentioned- the shards can cut up their GI tract.
I buy organic calcium powder that I always mix with food.
The blood is bright red! Like in a movie!
I don’t give them any wood toys either, because - as you said- the shards/ wood chips may damage their insides on the way down.
I only have paper toys, small toys. That cannot be swallowed.
I have had cockatiels (3 , same ones) for the last 15 years.
I have no clue what is happening to this new female.
( no, I am bot a breedeer)

Tati

And , Yes, as you said- I chose not to take her to the vet again!
Last time it was $1,500! In emergency vet- and they couldn’t even tell me what caused the bleeding!
So no, I am not doing it again.

Tati

It still could be a reproductive issue, or not,,lower GI bleeding is red, Upper GI bleeding is black...she may have ovarian or other issues,,, did she eat any sharp cuttlebone pieces? Does have access to wooden toys she may have invested? My pigeon, does this a couple time a year, she will poo a huge bloody mess, it freaked me out! Took her in, vet gave her meds, and told me to watch her, itll be a mess with her for the first day, then back to normal..Without extensive tests, they wont know, I chose not to do that to her..I just deal with it, she seems fine otherwise...only you know her, but I would watch her.. they are little turds aren't they? Like to scare us all the time..let us know, hope she will be ok.
What could cause lower GI bleeding ?
Other than sharp pieces of food?

Tati

What could cause lower GI bleeding ?
Other than sharp pieces of food?
I sometimes give them bread.
and sunflower seeds.
Could she be eating the shells??

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would guess it may be reproductive in nature since it is cyclical and from her vent. Can you get a different opinion from another vet?