• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel baby

Varalia

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
So I brought home a 4-5 week old baby cockatiel, on May 16, present day should mean she’s around 6-7 weeks. She always takes formula so readily and everything, I wait until her crop empties before feeding every 6-7 hours now, 3 times a day. Used to feed her 4 times a day every 4 hours, but she started eating more and taking more time to digest, so I bumped it down to 3 times. She’s always so active, she’s starting to fly, but she isn’t putting on weight and I’ve been able to feel her keelbone for the last day now. I’ve owned many birds and I know it shouldn’t feel the way it does, doesn’t have as much flesh around it. I always put in fresh Millet, Fresh Sprouts, and the main food I use for my other birds every day. Her breeder was terrible, as he neglected to say she had splayed legs, I knew it the moment I saw her but took her because I know hand feeding and study vet tech. So I got her legs healed up to what I can from it being treated a bit late. But I just don’t know what else to do, does anyone have a good recommendation? I’m a very worried parrot momma and I want to do anything I can for her. Anything is appreciated.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They all loose weight when fledging so they can fly. Are you weighing your baby daily?

@Mockinbirdiva might be able to help you with some feeding and growth information.

Varalia

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Yes, I weigh her everyday when I wake up. Always a small gain but I just find it odd it isn’t more and that her keelbone is sharp. I weigh her in between feedings as well to make sure she’s taking in 10% and keeping some weight with it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes, I weigh her everyday when I wake up. Always a small gain but I just find it odd it isn’t more and that her keelbone is sharp. I weigh her in between feedings as well to make sure she’s taking in 10% and keeping some weight with it.
Hopefully some of the others who have raised babies will be along soon to help :)

Varalia

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Yeah I know how it should feel, my other birds are completely normal and I feel them everyday. So I know hers is not ideal, I’m just trying to get input if this is in some way something that happens, or a recommendation to get her in the right direction.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Zara may be able to help some

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wait until her crop empties before feeding every 6-7 hours now, 3 times a day.
You don´t have to wait for the crop to empty completely between every feed, just once overnight.
How much are you feeding? Could be they aren´t getting enough food.

she’s starting to fly, but she isn’t putting on weight
As the birds start to fly it is normal their weight will go down a little, but if you are saying the keelbone feels sharp, then obviously there is something not right.
It really does sound like not enough food.

Great job on fixing the splay as best you can, it´s lucky you took him/her home and took care of that.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When the formula was taking longer to empty from the crop do you think you were mixing it a bit too thick? What temperature are you feeding the formula? Ideally, the temperature should be 104-107 degrees Fahrenheit. Are you using a thermometer to check the temp? If it's under 100 degrees... it can slow the crop down in digesting.

Varalia

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
It’s always around the 104-107 mark, consistency is like a gravy. I use a meat thermometer to make sure I always have the right temp.

Varalia

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
As for how much, I believe the syringe I use is 10 ML. She will normally eat a bit closer to 14 ML but it varies.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It’s always around the 104-107 mark, consistency is like a gravy. I use a meat thermometer to make sure I always have the right temp.
as @Zara said... the crop doesn't have to be completely empty during the day feedings but you should allow the crop to completely empty over night. As long as the crop is nearly empty during the day you could give her an extra feeding. I would also suggest offering some soft cooked foods, sweet potato, quinoa, soak some pellets. It is normal for them to drop a little weight but if she is very thin then a vet check is in order. The consistency of the formula should be more like apple sauce... unless you are talking thick gravy. Gravy to me is runny.

Varalia

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
I will try an additional feeding then for sure, I’ll see about getting some sweet potatoes. My stores are still so under stocked around me so hopefully I can get something. I don’t know why I was always taught it had to be empty between each feeding, better to know now. My families gravy is a bit thicker so that’s just how I thought of it, but it is similar to apple sauce I would say. Thank you! My anxiety takes me over the moon when it comes to my feather babies.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm glad you weigh her every day. Keep a log book with the date so you can follow her progress. It's early am so my brain isn't quite awake yet when it comes to other foods. I've always fed my birds Zupreem, it soaks nicely and doesn't lose it's shape. I do feed several different types of pellets though. At the moment I don't remember the ratio of pellets and seed for tiels. You can also mix a little almond butter in her formula.. just look for the no sugar or salt added kind.

Varalia

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Update on the baby, the extra feeding helped for a good while, she sky rocketed in weight and the area around her keelbone really started to fill out. Then starting yesterday, she was just, not that interested in her formula. It’s like she’s more interested in flying around my kitchen then to focus on eating. Which was highly unusual, because before she was as ravenous as ever. All 4 feedings were like that. Weighed her when I woke up, and she had dropped a little bit, and still the same thing. Not wanting formula that much, always flying off mid feed. I know she loves her Millet, and she’s picking at her other foods a bit more, so she could be weaning, but it still makes me nervous she’s gonna take too many steps back trying to take steps forward. I’m thinking if she drops weight again tomorrow, I’ll schedule a vet appointment. Any thoughts or tips?