• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel attacking me but not my mum

tormytiel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jenny
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some advice.
My two cockatiels (3yrs old) currently have three eggs, both parents take turns incubating. The problem is that every morning when I go into the aviary to feed them, the male full on dive bombs me and bites hard enough to draw blood. We also recently found out that when my mum goes in he is super sweet and goes up to her to ask for kisses! I don’t really know why he only attacks me but we are considering taking him inside the house while the female raises the babies alone. Is this a good idea or will she be stressed without the male? Thanks for your time

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If he is being a good dad to the eggs/babies and a good partner to mumma bird then it is not a good idea to move him to make it better or easier for you- sorry to say as I know it must be awful for you. It is just way too hard and physically taxing for a bird to raise babies alone and she will be stressed about his absence- they are a pair/family, it will also be stressful for him to be moved from his partner. If you make sudden changes it may even make mum abandon the eggs.

Can your mum be the one to feed and clean in there till these babies are raised and weaned? Can you add an external feeder system so you do not have to enter?

tormytiel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jenny
If he is being a good dad to the eggs/babies and a good partner to mumma bird then it is not a good idea to move him to make it better or easier for you- sorry to say as I know it must be awful for you. It is just way too hard and physically taxing for a bird to raise babies alone and she will be stressed about his absence- they are a pair/family, it will also be stressful for him to be moved from his partner. If you make sudden changes it may even make mum abandon the eggs.

Can your mum be the one to feed and clean in there till these babies are raised and weaned? Can you add an external feeder system so you do not have to enter?
Thanks for the reply, my mum has been feeding them for a couple of days so she can continue to do that and clean while the babies grow up. I agree with what you’re saying as they are a family and are raising the babies together, thank you!