• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel Aspirated in Shower

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I was in the shower with my cockatiel and he wanted to get wet. So I sprinkled him with a little water (away from his face). He got really wet. And he started preening himself and I guess some water got into his nostrils.

In any case, he started forcefully exhaling with this wet sound, and I could see his tail bobbing. His throat was moving forward and back. Expanding and compressing. The episode lasted for 5 min and then stopped. He's perfectly fine now. Breathing normal and everything.

I’m assuming he aspirated some water into his lungs/air sacs, and he was trying to get out? Is he going to be okay? How do I know if he was able to get all the water out? What if there is still some in there?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
bumping for visibility

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Birds rarely aspirate. They can get fluids "stuck" in their throat and struggle to clear them, but they rarely aspirate into their respiratory system. The one thing you need to watch for now is an infection. If he shows any signs of lethargy, coughing, wheezing or struggles to breathe - get him to a vet immediately and have al information ready for the vet.

Here is a video to help you understand the respiratory system of your bird.