• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel and Lovebord

Jaq

Moving in
Hello,
I've had my female cockatiel for about 3 months now and 3 days ago I bought a Lovebird(My tiel is about 6 months and the Lovebird is around 3-4 months). I put them in seperate cages however I let my cockatiel look around his cage sometimes. I've been putting them together lately my tiels acts scared sometimes but not others I took a video of them together in the same cage. She seems interested in his beak alot.
So what I wonder is are they getting along?

Attachments

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I have a bonded tiel and lovebird, but what you're doing is dangerous. I don't trust most of my lovebirds around her as they have bullied or bitten her. The cage you have also looks awfully small for the both of them. She won't have anywhere to go to get away if he does attack.

Please separate them.

Reactions: Jaq

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I definitely wouldn't allow a lovie and a cockatiel to live in the same cage, it's tremendously dangerous. Even though lovebirds are smaller, their beaks are larger and so is their attitude. Cockatiels are big softies who won't often defend themselves, and can get bullied and injured very easily. Not to mention that the cage you have them in allows her absolutely no escape route.

Once they've gotten to know each other very well you might be able to allow them out-of-cage time together, but only under strict supervision.

Jaq

Moving in
I see, thanks for answering. Well I am not letting them live in the same cage I just put them to see how they do for a limited time while I'm with them for all the duration. Besides I haven't seen the lovebird do anything much he just lets her pet him or bite his beak I don't know to be honest. She is VERY interested in the beak for some reason. Still I will keep them in different cages.
Thanks again!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's risky to put any different species together but it sometimes works. I have heard that lovies can be aggressive and I know that cockateils can be very mild mannered. My female cockateil and male border canary lived together for their final years. After being next to each other for more than 10 years, they really became good friends. I tried out putting them together and it was successful. They spent most of their time on their sides of their large cage, but occasionally sat together and it was precious.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That was very risky of you to put them together at all. There could have been a fight to death right before your eyes. Realize birds are fragile creatures and need safety in many aspects. They must live in separate cages for the rest of their lives. Lovebirds and small and do not tolerate other species well. Cockatiels are calm, peaceful birds. Two opposites. Please be more safety conscious.

Jaq

Moving in
I see. Well to be honest the Lovebird is too timid or too lazy cuz he doesn't do anything. He just lets her do whatever she does. Still I am watching right next to them at all times. I put them in seperate cages now so its ok.
One more question, would the Lovebird feel any jealousy if I let the cockatiel out while he is still in cage?

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
The lovebird will still be in the honeymoon phase which means that that bird is being on its best behavior because it's in a new environment. Its not showing its true colours yet.

If the bird has bonded to you or the cocktail then perhaps, also I wouldn't want to be stuck in a cage while my friends are running free in a field. But a bit of grumpy bird is better than one who has life threatening injuries.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
There's a big difference between allowing a bonded pair to live with one another and putting two baby birds together. If you really want to allow them to interact, do it outside of the cage. If she's acting scared, then she is scared and uncomfortable near your lovebird.

Are you certain he is a boy? It's very easy to mistake a male and female lovebird. I have a boy who was thought to be a girl and s boy who might be a girl, though I'm not quite sure. I also have a baby lovebird who was attacked by a pair of lovies before I got him. They can really do a number on other birds.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
20180626_113357.jpg
They broke his leg and tore out his toenail. It will never grow back. He was insanely lucky.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
My conure almost killed my budgie (I was in a rush and forgot to cover their cage). I let the budgies out and came back 15mins later to blood everywhere. Busbee had his toenail bitten off by one of the conures. It does only take a second.

(also they have no time out together and never will)

Jaq

Moving in
Hmm, I see. Well I was told he was a male I'm not sure myself. Well I let them out of the cage and he occasionally flies towards her however when she sees him she flies away and the cycle continues until she comes to me.